Who is still coming over?

I'll be there at the beginning of August on a 4150 net peso budget that should increase immediately 10-20% due to inflation (company does this each August)

ghost said:
The quality of life in BA has diminished over the last 8 yrs. in direct proportion to the increase in the availability of PACO and similar. I know this may be an oversimplification which neglects a few intricate side bars, but it is a "bottom line".

Paco doesn't affect me

Xeneizes said:
I'll be there at the beginning of August on a 4150 net peso budget that should increase immediately 10-20% due to inflation (company does this each August)

I am guessing more people like you are coming on that kind of salary and stay 6-9 months max.

It's probally a good option for a college grad wanting to live and work abroad but it will tire you soon enough to not being able to many things you take for granted elsewhere

Xeneizes said:

Don't count on that increase ok? They could easily tell you that since you're new employee and just signed on your salary has already been set to reflect the increase.

Hey Guys
Im a danish artist (painting/graphic,sculpture) and Im coming from 9-29 july on a researchtrip to Buenos Aires. Im thinking about finding a studio/workingplace and work 3-5 month a year in B.A.. Would like to find a place close to other PROFESSIONAL artists and heard that San Telmo,Palermo, La Boca would be a good choice.
Anyone who could give advice???
Im also looking for legal advice with housingcontracts e.c. ,or expats working in different fields for common interests. Im dspeaing english,danish,herman,italian hope to hear from you. I have rentet a room at the hostel Mantengase in San Telmo anyboddy nows that place?
best Heike Arndt
http://www.heike-arndt.dk

"Expats" lasting 6-9 months isn't anything new - was the case even back in the dark ages when things are cheap. (And I put expats in quotes b/c very, very few people that come here are expats, most are just on an extended vacation:rolleyes:)

But yes, as prices continue to go up, the budget tourists will go elsewhere.

Oh & yes Xeneizes, I wouldn't count on a raise. If I just hired someone at X salary who was starting in August, I certainly wouldn't give you a COL increase in August.

Expats lasting 6/9 months is nothing new but in the period 2005/2008 you had more people who stayed. It might be that I also came (2005) at the same time but all the people I know who are long term expats came between 2005 and 2008.

I very rarely meet people now who have been 1,5 - 2 years in BA

Barney said:
Expats lasting 6/9 months is nothing new but in the period 2005/2008 you had more people who stayed. It might be that I also came (2005) at the same time but all the people I know who are long term expats came between 2005 and 2008.

I very rarely meet people now who have been 1,5 - 2 years in BA

To be fair, I don't really hang out with any newer expats these days. But of the ones that arrived in the 05/08 range that I hung out with - which was a big group - less than 10% are still here. I guess my point is that the vast majority of people who come here are going to leave within a short amount of time. That is pretty much a statistical certainty. Whereas in '06, maybe people lasted 18 months before their savings ran out or they got fed up, now it's probably around 9 months.

Kind of sad - even the expats I know that are still here, most are talking about leaving.

I am guessing that most long term expats have an Argentine spouse so that makes them a lot less likely to leave and with a 3000/5000 income and a income from a spouse and/or free housing your reality would be a bit different.

I am guessing as well it's pretty much impossible for a expat who has been here 3 to 6 years to move back.

Back