Who plans to live in Buenos Aires permanently and why?

Thankyou for the advice. By getting a guarantee I assume you mean getting a guarantor willing to underwrite the risk? Not sure how I get insurance but will enquire. SOme people say that if you offer dollars up front for a year or more than many vendors/landlords will waive the guarantee requirement.

Thankyou for the advice. By getting a guarantee I assume you mean getting a guarantor willing to underwrite the risk? Not sure how I get insurance but will enquire. SOme people say that if you offer dollars up front for a year or more than many vendors/landlords will waive the guarantee requirement.
There are companies,that provide guarantees,also the city government is starting to offer that,probably,you have to deposit money with them,and they will provide you with the guarantee.The problem,is that here,the law,protects the person renting,that is why they ask for guarantee,its because once you are inside,is very difficult to evict you from the appartment

Thankyou for your insights. From the other end, as it were, if you find you have, or acquire, difficult neighbours (with multiple dogs!) or unresponsive landlords then as a tenant you are somewhat stuck if you have signed a long-term contract? So both parties need to be responsible I guess.

You can read more about the "finaer" which is an alternative to the guarantia in the fourth page of this thread:

Argentina extended Visa option?

https://www.baexpats.org/threads/argentina-extended-visa-option.40204/page-4

It may be a great alternantive to the guarantia but I don't think anyone has reported that they were able to get on based on foreign income.

BC2 posted even though two incomes are required, one can be en negro.

While he was able to get a finaer for his ex, I'm assuming that his income as a lawyer was the second source of income.

So, it may not be as easy for a foreigner to get a finaer as it might at first glance.

PS: And some of the numbers in the post about the finaer have probably changed recently.

You can read more about the "finaer" which is an alternative to the guarantia in the fourth page of this thread:

Argentina extended Visa option?

https://www.baexpats.org/threads/argentina-extended-visa-option.40204/page-4

It may be a great alternantive to the guarantia but I don't think anyone has reported that they were able to get on based on foreign income.

BC2 posted even though two incomes are required, one can be en negro.

While he was able to get a finaer for his ex, I'm assuming that his income as a lawyer was the second source of income.

So, it may not be as easy for a foreigner to get a finaer as it might at first glance.

PS: And some of the numbers in the post about the finaer have probably changed recently.

Joglide says:
Thanks for advice from Steve for elucidating the process! The two people rule looks odd if the principal has more than sufficient to cover any rental expectations, especially as one can simply (it seems) invent a relationship from a willing person and then assert that they work in the black! This makes sense when we recall it is Argentina after all!

if you find you have, or acquire, difficult neighbours (with multiple dogs!) or unresponsive landlords then as a tenant you are somewhat stuck if you have signed a long-term contract? So both parties need to be responsible I guess.

Unfortunately, the same applies in other countries too.

We moved here in Oct 2000 when the ARG peso was pegged 1 to 1 with the USA dollar. At that time it was more expensive to live here then it was to live in California. The goal was to live in and experience a Latin culture (I have a B.S. in International Business specializing in Latin America), so we didn't move here for a "cheap" place to live but as a "change of life" kind of thing (getting out of the stress of working in the corporate world). The original idea was to live here a few years, then move to Santiago Chile for a few years, then maybe to Spain for a few years, living in Italy would be a dream. However, when the crisis of Dec 2001 hit, and their currency devalued 75%, what used to cost $1 then cost 25 cents. We didn't stay for economic reasons, by the time of the crisis we had really fallen in love with Buenos Aires and Argentina. Of course there are problems here, but there are problems everywhere in the world, no place is perfect. My Argentine friends can't believe anyone would move here from California, they think the whole state is like "BayWatch" on TV. I try and explain to them, "There are lots of nice places to live in the world and Argentina is one of them!" They just shake their heads and think we're crazy. They think if they could just move to the USA (or Spain or Italy or Anywhere) they would be able to easily get a $80,000 a year job.

Moving is a lot of work, and it's expensive, and as I've mentioned we really do love Argentina, both the Latin culture and the amazing geographical beauty and variety of this country. I do see my young Argentine friends struggle to build a career, save for a home, a car, a life with children, so I'm not blind to the economic problems of living here and building a life here. This is a nice place to have a home base and the whole world is a plane trip away, so we're staying.

Regarding the "guarantor" issue, when we moved here 18 years ago we didn't have a "guarantor" and we ended giving the owner 6 month's rent "deposit" to act as the insurance policy. Our realtor had us a go to lawyer and setup a legal contract that the 2nd year of the lease our rent would be decreased each month to whittle away at the large deposit so that by the end of the 2 year lease the deposit was something reasonable like $600 USA (which was returned to us in full). The owner was impressed by my realtor, as this protected both her as the owner (She wouldn't have to come up with a huge deposit amount at the end of the lease to repay us) and it protected our deposit so that we would get back our money.

The Dec 2001 economic meltdown crisis happened during our lease, so by the time our lease was up, we decided to purchase an apartment.

Living in Argentina isn't for everyone, there are a lot of frustrations, but we love it here and don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

We moved here in Oct 2000 when the ARG peso was pegged 1 to 1 with the USA dollar. At that time it was more expensive to live here then it was to live in California. The goal was to live in and experience a Latin culture (I have a B.S. in International Business specializing in Latin America), so we didn't move here for a "cheap" place to live but as a "change of life" kind of thing (getting out of the stress of working in the corporate world). The original idea was to live here a few years, then move to Santiago Chile for a few years, then maybe to Spain for a few years, living in Italy would be a dream. However, when the crisis of Dec 2001 hit, and their currency devalued 75%, what used to cost $1 then cost 25 cents. We didn't stay for economic reasons, by the time of the crisis we had really fallen in love with Buenos Aires and Argentina. Of course there are problems here, but there are problems everywhere in the world, no place is perfect. My Argentine friends can't believe anyone would move here from California, they think the whole state is like "BayWatch" on TV. I try and explain to them, "There are lots of nice places to live in the world and Argentina is one of them!" They just shake their heads and think we're crazy. They think if they could just move to the USA (or Spain or Italy or Anywhere) they would be able to easily get a $80,000 a year job.

Moving is a lot of work, and it's expensive, and as I've mentioned we really do love Argentina, both the Latin culture and the amazing geographical beauty and variety of this country. I do see my young Argentine friends struggle to build a career, save for a home, a car, a life with children, so I'm not blind to the economic problems of living here and building a life here. This is a nice place to have a home base and the whole world is a plane trip away, so we're staying.

Regarding the "guarantor" issue, when we moved here 18 years ago we didn't have a "guarantor" and we ended giving the owner 6 month's rent "deposit" to act as the insurance policy. Our realtor had us a go to lawyer and setup a legal contract that the 2nd year of the lease our rent would be decreased each month to whittle away at the large deposit so that by the end of the 2 year lease the deposit was something reasonable like $600 USA (which was returned to us in full). The owner was impressed by my realtor, as this protected both her as the owner (She wouldn't have to come up with a huge deposit amount at the end of the lease to repay us) and it protected our deposit so that we would get back our money.

The Dec 2001 economic meltdown crisis happened during our lease, so by the time our lease was up, we decided to purchase an apartment.

Living in Argentina isn't for everyone, there are a lot of frustrations, but we love it here and don't plan on leaving anytime soon.
Loved this post!

Pmacay :-

Loved your post! Agree 100%
Thanks Ceviche, we're here by choice and we love our adopted country! After 18 years I still look up at the amazing architecture as I walk down the streets and think, "I live in a really cool place!" I can walk to the Colón opera house and have a choripan on the way home! The jacaranda trees in November take my breath away, and what is more civilized then having merienda in the afternoon sitting at a sidewalk café. I love the fact that in a café you can see a teacher grading papers with their papers spread all over the table and sitting there for hours with just one coffee and the waiters aren't telling them they have to leave. I think Argentines have a healthy attitude about life, there is stress of course, we all have bills to pay, but I think they have a better way of handling it then most.

Back