Why are the eggs not kept refrigerated?

From what I have read on the website I posted earlier there are 3 things that factor into samonella...I have had no issues with the eggs I purchase here..but I also put them in the frig when I get home. In this climate I wouldn't trust leaving them without refrigeration...but that's just me...:)
1. hygiene
2. how eggs are prepared
3. how eggs are stored...i.e., refrigeration

It totally comes down to the preparation. Refrigeration has zero, really, zero, effect on salmonella (the only reason for keeping an egg at refrigerator temperature is it will keep fresh for a few days longer, the flip side is, it will lose intensity of flavor). An egg either has salmonella or it doesn't (which is totally a matter of the hygenic status of the farm/factory where the eggs are laid), and the only concern for salmonella poisoning is the eating of a raw egg that happens to have it. Once cooked, it's a non-issue. Only 1 in 20,000 eggs is likely to have salmonella, and virtually all of those are from "factory farms" (the majority of eggs in the U.S., but not here) - fresh eggs from real farms with good conditions virtually never have salmonella.

SaltShaker, Thanks for the good info, BTW are you the same person that has the Saltshaker website??

Back