Why do expats decide to live outside of their own countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacoloringa

Registered
I'm new to Argentina and this website. Just out of curiosity I was wondering what makes someone want to live outside the country of their birth? I understand if they are involved in a relationship, are studying or their work brings them here. Is it a different lifestyle they seek; are they running away from something in their own country; is it looking for a less expensive place to live in? It's a major undertaking to leave and begin a new life in a foreign country. Do most of you think you made the right decision?

Remember....

Some of them go for the sailn'
Called by the lure of the sea
Trying to find what is ailing
From living in the land of the free

Some of them are running from lovers
Leaving no forward address
Some of them are running tons of ganga
Some are running from the IRS

:)

David

Lacoloringa said:
I'm new to Argentina and this website. Just out of curiosity I was wondering what makes someone want to live outside the country of their birth? I understand if they are involved in a relationship, are studying or their work brings them here. Is it a different lifestyle they seek; are they running away from something in their own country; is it looking for a less expensive place to live in? It's a major undertaking to leave and begin a new life in a foreign country. Do most of you think you made the right decision?

In a lot of cases, I've seen people escaping from themselves (my case sometimes). The major undertaking you mention is a great excuse to evade another major undertaking, which may be finding yourself, confronting difficult family issues. Most of my expats friends left their countries for a concrete and socially accepted reason, but when you dig a little deeper, most of them have some type of unresolved family/personal/social conflict.

I also love to discover different cities and make them mine.

I would love to elaborate more, but I fear I'll ramble for hours.

Cool topic!

Lacoloringa said:

Lacoloringa,

I think that any of the reasons that you mention could apply to most expats.

Most people from the States do not travel internationally and perhaps, that is why you are curious (and do not really understand why someone would leave their country for another). But, it is not a sincere question on your part. The U.S. is filled with immigrants from all over the world. When was the last time you ever thought these same questions of people who come to the U.S.? I bet NEVER!

Aren't you the person who is getting married to an Argentine and is very concerned about getting a prenuptial (and you should be). But, why is that? Because, around 50% of all marriages in the States end in divorce. Your new husband stands to split with you 50/50 all assets acquired during the marriage in the case of divorce. Hence, people like to pretend that the U.S. is the land of milk and honey and the ONLY place to live in the world. But, that is hollywood. The reality is much different. Certainly, getting divorced is one of the many problems.

In my own case, I travelled extensively internationally growing up. My parents had me on the travel treadmill at a very young age. So, the thought of eating dinner at 6:00pm and bed at 9:00pm only to get up and go to work the next day and repeat the routine for the rest of my life just bores me to death. Get the point? I think that one of the biggest suprises to most Americans is that there are places around the world that do offer a much higher standard of living.

Recoleta Carolina,

The question was asked out of curiosity....not to request a sick diatribe out of you. How dare you say my question wasn't sincere. Who are you to judge? I have travelled extensively in my life but always choose to live in the U.S. That is my choice!! I simply wanted to know why others choose not to.

It is easy for me to understand why people decide to come and live in the U.S. and I have many friends in the U.S. from other countries. So, yes, I have thought about it. And, if you could read, you would see that that was not my question. The best part of life in the U.S. is its convenience.
It's EASY to hop in the car and drive anywhere; It's EASY to pay bills, have repairs done, fix errors in paperwork, etc. ALL of the stuff you bitch about all the time. If you are so happy here, why do you bitch so much?

Ok maybe I can tell a short story about me and try to answer your question... I left my parents house at the age of 19( I am now 27) moved to Ireland where I learned English and met people, started working, got my own money and in general became totally Independent! Couple of years later I decide to give my country a try... wanted to live there, because I was sick and tired of being a foreign in another country, it pissed me off that I had to renew visa every three months, had to pay school for a year sometimes just to get that visa that would allow me to stay longer and work "part time" Anyway, When I flew back to Brazil I felt a little nervous, as if I didn't know what was going on... I spent months and months there trying to adjust to new friends, new life again, new economy, back to live with the family and money shortage... but what was constantly in my mind was the fact I missed being abroad so badly, I wanted to return to Ireland where I felt co much more useful than I ever did in my country :) It might be because of my background, my parents kept moving cities and I had o move to a different school, so my friendships were all broken in a way... Nowadays I only have like 2 to 3 friends that I keep in touch with over the 19 years I lived there... my life is totally different from theirs... and I feel like I don't fit, so when I am abroad, traveling or in Dublin I feel good. People are doing the same things that I am, like I've learnt to enjoy the same things that they do... I've adapted to the European culture very well and I really like it... I don't know maybe I was never meant to be Brazilian :D I can Samba, but I hate the music and the whatever is about it.
But at the same time I wish I wanted to live there and say Brazil is the best country to live like a lot of Brazilians do say when they are traveling... I just can't agree.. maybe that is because I am not rich.... and if you are not rich you go through some difficulties... difficulties that I don't experience when I am in Ireland, with my work I can pay rent, buy clothes eat very well, go out with friend 3 times a week and save a little bit more for traveling to ie. Spain, France.. etc. I have been living abroad of 8 years and I am still not ready to go back.
Well I hope that was what your question meant... This is from a brazilian girl point of view... friends, social life and economic reason and culture. I think it would be a little different with an American Citizen.

Sick diatribe? You asked the question. One can only assume that you wanted to hear various answers.

If you have travelled as much as you say then you should already know the answers.

I normally do not sugarcoat my responses. Some people only want to hear a sanitized version of their own fantasy. And, some people can't handle truth.

You may have seen the film "Shirley Valentine" Well I have holidayed in all to the usual places Brits go to, in the main I enjoyed myself, but never felt I would want to spend the rest of my life there. Then I started city breaks, I just fell in love with Monte Carlo, no chance I would ever move there without a lottery win The cities that impressed me most were in Spain (aside from Seville, which I found very unfreindly).
I was by now a Tango tourist and searched out all the venues that existed in these places. In Barcelona and Madrid you can dance almost every night.
When I finally came here, I was just blown away by the Tango scene, even though at that time most of what we saw was for touristas.
Now, I am just a working lad, so when the pound became unusually strong, and my debts were clear, the cheap property here was too much of a temptation for me, and with the help of Pericles I bought an apartment here.
Now I know I am not a true expat, I still need to work at home to survive, but I am counting the days (much to my colleagues anoyance) until I can be here full time. Yes I know all about the beurocracy, dog dirt, no pasa nada attitude, and queues, but the freindliness and sheer volume of tango do it for me every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back