Why do people without work visas think they can come here and find work?

Why do you care so much? Seems to me like you're letting other peoples business affect your thoughts and your life. Live and let live. It's unhealthy to worry about other peoples actions so much. Especially when they have nothing to do with your life. No offense, of course. :)

sivan said:
im really not trying to be antagonistic and i apologize if i offend anyone but i am really curious as to why people with no work visa (and often no spanish!) think they can arrive in argentina and find a job.
i am not talking about people who come here for a year and who are happy to teach english or something like that. i am talking about people who are looking for REAL jobs.
in places that most of us come from like the United States, England, Australia (I am from South Africa) you can be arrested if you stay a day over your tourist visa!!!! But yet many people (I have been here 7 years and i have seen so many posts on the subject) think they can fly over to Argentina and there will be a job waiting there for them.
It boggles my mind! Can someone please enlighten me?
PS I am also not talking about people who come or stay for significant others - THAT i get. I mean people with no links to Argentina at all.

Well, perhaps they do that because this is a civilized country where they don t trat you as a convicted criminal if you work without a legal permit.

By the way, Argentina is now expensive, it means that now it might be a better busisness to make money in Argentina instead of spending it here, this is the ABC of immigration.

Regards

sivan said:
i am really curious as to why people with no work visa (and often no spanish!) think they can arrive in argentina and find a job.

because they can. :p

sivan said:
im really not trying to be antagonistic

Oh, really?

PS: There's nothing wrong with being antagonistic here.

You can even be an agnostic and no one will care. :D

Bajo _Cero , Its far from a civilized country . Everyone lives behind iron bars. MOST of the politicians are currupt , and Hebe de Bonafini , is a SHAME and an embarrasment to the cause of Human rights.
The current goverment CHOOSES to ignore the plight of the illegal inmigrant , because it has proven helpfull for them to coopt these people , keep them disenfranchised , poor and illiterate and dependant on goverment handouts. The ARE criminals , inasmuch as anyone who guarantees such a future for their children is concerned.
I dont agree at all with what the state of Arizona has subcribed to . But what this goverment is doing with the poor and the inmigrants is objectionable

So very true.

nikad said:
I truly hope this is the reason, however I tend to think that they come to break those rules they cannot in their home countries, and then complain about the lack of law enforcement here, etc...

Stafford said:
... um... okay... I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. Or its some kind of attempt at humor maybe?

I for one thought it was both a useful and amusing piece of info.... like what planet are you from dude.

Yeah I do kinda think the answer is that they do because "they can". There's so much work here these days. True, it is usually crappier work than most US/UK/Europe/AUS/etc citizens are wishing/willing to do, but there is really no shortage of work these days, particularly for those who have some degree of education and speak English (provided you are willing to work in customer service/call center/etc!)

Although "they can", I'm pretty sure most of them when they see how hard it is would be more than happy to go back to their home countries where even if they are unemployed their unemployment check probably provides them a better standard of living than the kind of jobs I'm talking about here :p Most people I know on unemployment in the US make much more than I do. Hell I know someone on disability who makes more than I do or ever did working in Arg, just in government checks. *shrug*

sivan said:
im really not trying to be antagonistic and i apologize if i offend anyone but i am really curious as to why people with no work visa (and often no spanish!) think they can arrive in argentina and find a job.
i am not talking about people who come here for a year and who are happy to teach english or something like that. i am talking about people who are looking for REAL jobs.
in places that most of us come from like the United States, England, Australia (I am from South Africa) you can be arrested if you stay a day over your tourist visa!!!! But yet many people (I have been here 7 years and i have seen so many posts on the subject) think they can fly over to Argentina and there will be a job waiting there for them.
It boggles my mind! Can someone please enlighten me?
PS I am also not talking about people who come or stay for significant others - THAT i get. I mean people with no links to Argentina at all.

Hey Sivan,

Met you about two years ago at mama rucca or a cafe in Palermo with some such name.

I kind of see your point --but not really. There's no country that sees more of what you desribe than the US--where I'm from BTW.

I came to Argentina under the circumstances you describe; if I had tried to get a working visa from the US, I would have never gotten to Arg--just as millions and millions of immigrants would have never gotten to the US (or anywhere else) if they had stayed in their home countries waiting for their paperwork. Doing things by the book is extremely difficult, as you undoubtedly know. I know you were talking about those people who automatically expect to find a good job here, but I think the same principal is operating: people just want to get out of their country (for varying reasons).

Also --not trying to start a fight just for the hell of it-- but I think the people who "just fly over here" expecting a job, are not the same people that would have all undocumented aliens deported (or worse) from their home country. Most of those people probably probably don't leave their country too much.

Back