Why do some threads get locked

Would love to have a chit-chat place where we could share individual interests.

We cannot do it :)

We have experimented with having an off-topic internal forum (accessible via Forums -> Off-topic forum).
If posts are not shown on the main page, nobody ever goes to the off-topic forum.
If off-topic posts are shown on the main page, new visitors leave because they are looking for more specific information.

Having a dedicated place for off-topic conversations is a luxury that a relatively small niche forum cannot afford.

We cannot do it :)

We have experimented with having an off-topic internal forum (accessible via Forums -> Off-topic forum).
If posts are not shown on the main page, nobody ever goes to the off-topic forum.
If off-topic posts are shown on the main page, new visitors leave because they are looking for more specific information.

Having a dedicated place for off-topic conversations is a luxury that a relatively small niche forum cannot afford.
I can definitely see the value of each thread containing specific content.

Someone searches for what they are looking for, they find it. Chitter chatter off topic is a problem for the person who searched expecting to find relevant information. MAKES SENSE TO ME.

As posters, we need to adhere to this system. It just makes the forum that more useful to others. And it very well could increase members and participation. I like it!

Thanks, Admin, for the explanation. A pity, but it's always better to know..... And thanks for keeping the board going....!

To be fair, to say the "off-topic" subforum didn't work in the prior implementation doesn't mean it isn't possible for it to work. We just haven't yet discovered the right way to implement it.

Back