Why do you live in Argentina?

donquixote

Registered
Since joining this web site all I ever read is how loud and hysterical Argentine women are, dog s**t, bad service, corruption, crime, all Argentines rip off forigners, insane drivers, rude waiters, inflation, pollution, bad manners and Nietzche. There most be a reason you are expats. I can't believe you are all fugitives. Without insulting me. Tell me why you chose to live in Argentina.
DQ

I like exhaust fumes. Especially from buses. The dog crap is just a bonus.

Noise, you forgot the noise. 3:1 exchange rate is still good. Imagine if you have the euro - golly!

"G" said:
Noise, you forgot the noise. 3:1 exchange rate is still good. Imagine if you have the euro - golly!

Yeah or the Japanese Yen 1:36 oh wait that aint favourable is it? Wonder if that rate of exchange means that all the people of Argentina can go have themselves nice little holidays in Japan.....

"donquixote" said:
Since joining this web site all I ever read is how loud and hysterical Argentine women are, dog s**t, bad service, corruption, crime, all Argentines rip off forigners, insane drivers, rude waiters, inflation, pollution, bad manners and Nietzche. There most be a reason you are expats. I can't believe you are all fugitives. Without insulting me. Tell me why you chose to live in Argentina.
DQ

Most of these people are not really expats, they're more like wanderers or tourists. Anyone in a foreign country and glad to be there would call himself an immigrant, not an expat.

Well, I'll get to the point and answer your question. While living in Uruguay for a year, I fell in love with an Argentine and eventually came here to be with him (me thinking that if I liked Uruguayan life, then I'd be fine here - HA). I lived with him in Cordoba for two years and have now been in BA for a year.
I can honestly say that ever since I started living here in Argentina, I have been wanting to leave. It's just not for me. And no, it isn't a cultural thing, as I am half-Uruguayan and have spent much time "al otro lado del río." There is just something about this place that makes my skin crawl. The only reason I'm still here is because of my fiancee and the fact that he is ok with leaving this country in a couple years. So.....you could say I am just letting that clock run out. I look very forward to the day that we pack up our bags and get the heck out of here.
In a nutshell - Argentina has completely bittered me. It has turned me into an elitist first-world snob, I fear. I now have the mentality that EVERYTHING back in US is so much better than here (which I know isn't necessarily always correct). I never used to be like that, until I came here.

The people are nice. Each province is distinct and full of adventure. The exchange rate is favorable. My girlfriends has a career here. I am retired and living on a fixed income. and the number one reason I live here.... I love the BBQs!

"Elpanada" said:
Most of these people are not really expats, they're more like wanderers or tourists. Anyone in a foreign country and glad to be there would call himself an immigrant, not an expat.

That's a really good point that ought to be pointed out more often. Thanks.

"It has turned me into an elitist first-world snob"
Finally, someone amitting to it.

Back