Why does customer service here suck?

"We are proud of our culture" is a defensive reaction to reasonable criticism. Porteños tend not to take any criticism well. What's worse, they will not listen to advice about how to improve things. They believe they know everything. Just attend any meeting of your building owners' association. They shout, insult, refuse to listen, refuse to work together. I've never seen such rudeness and lack of consideration but that's the way it is. I've given up trying to reason as it simply doesn't work.

It still amazes me how people take Cabrera seriously. Everyone knows he is a provocateur...I must admit he is really good at exposing the deep bias and the superiority complex many foreigners from First World countries show in Argentina.

Now, yes, customer service in Argentina sucks. In my opinion it has a cultural origin too. Argentines - mainly porteños- are very direct and a fake smile usually can cause exactly the opposite effect, namely, that one is trying to cheat them or is teasing him (many young people in BA use 'sonrisa de McDonalds" to refer to this fake smile.
Customer service also sucks because there is not much competition for things...shop owners and employees know that customers complain, but in the end they will have to come back to them.
Customer service also sucks because no one knows how long the shop will stay open...the next crisis can be around the corner, so that even if your customers return you might have to close the shop and open another similar one somewhere else a few months after the crisis.

Many of the big companies in Argentina were state owned until some years ago, everyone knows how 'efficient' they usually are. I think it will take years to change the corporate attitude.

Lastly, customer service also sucks in places like Spain and Italy. This could also give some strength to the cultural theory. Take for example Alitalia: state owned until recently, lots of iddle employees, incredibly bad customer service. Ifelt dealing with them very much like in Argentina.

Amargo,

Being originally from Spain (Madrid), I would like to add my 2 cents on you saying that customer service sucks in Spain and Italy. While definitely not up to par with the USA, it has been my experience that albeit sometimes slower and not as sickly sweet as in the States, the bottom-line level of service provided is efficient and respectful, with the exception of customer service hotline call centers, which, ironically, are outsourced to countries like Argentina.

the bottom-line level of service provided is efficient and respectful
It is not what I have experienced, probably because I am a foreigner? (not out of racism, but rather because they know I am probably a one-time customer...or at least they believe it).
From hotels to airlines, from restaurants (not the family owned though) to internet providers, my experiences in Spain and Italy have been crap.

yes iv been out many times and been over charged for my meal ....always always check your recipts...and if any waiter gets lippy...slap him in the face and hold a fork to his eye and demand the respect and service your paying for...

Buenos Aires is a family culture and very clicky . You have to be introduced to a business or become a regular to restaurants and then you will get excellent service. I go to the same restaurants in Palermo Viejo and I get served well and get free glasses of wine and extra attention.

Unfortunately many tourists will be exploited by the locals as they are quick to take advantage . I remember the first years here the problems I had in taxis and restaurants but nowadays this is a very rare occurence as I transmit the energy of being from here.

In the countryside of Argentina the people are welcoming and hospitable and will give you exceptional service .

cabrera said:
You do not like us leave us .
You are absolutely right, cabrera.

This is a site where expats can get advice and air excitement and frustrations - take your own advice: if you do not like it, leave it.

sergio said:
"We are proud of our culture" is a defensive reaction to reasonable criticism. Porteños tend not to take any criticism well. What's worse, they will not listen to advice about how to improve things. ...
My impression is somewhat different.

While I fully subscribe to the "defensive reaction", I have feeling that Porteños stick their fingers in their ears while inside their heads they shout "la-la-la I don't hear you!" because they feel that whatever improvements they think out themselves or which are suggested by foreigners, they have no way to implement them.

Their politicians and bureaucrats listen, smile, say "Oh, yes we are going to ..." - then do nothing but avoid any inconvenience (thus no improvement), and line their own pockets.

Amargo said:
Now, yes, customer service in Argentina sucks.
In my experience, not in Argentina, but in that separate country: Buenos Aíres (where it ranges from extremely bad through very bad via bad to grudgingly provided).

Everywhere in the provinces, from Jujuy to Bariloche, from Mendoza to Bahía Blanca, my experience of customer service ranges from acceptable (rare) through good (most) to excellent (not unusual).

I've just come across another example of bad customer service that makes me so angry, I just had to share it.
With all of the flights to NZ cancelled because of the ash cloud (I know, different threads abound on this) Aerolineas Argentinas' response to anyone trying to make a complaint is literally "this is not our problem we owe you nothing", followed by a raised palm in the typical "talk to the hand" salute if the customer insists, quickly followed by a walkout of staff if the customer still doesn't go away.
While I can understand that they must have hundreds of frustrated customers per day and could forgive them this rudeness, what gets me is that instead of using all available seats on flights to clear the backlog of passengers, they are prioritising new bookings and waitlisting any stranded traveller, often on flights 2 - 3 weeks away! Not even confirmed, just waitlisted!
There aren't many ways to get to NZ from here, all of them are bloody expensive so people are just trapped and getting fairly desperate too. Bad aerolineas!

Back