Why I am not planning on taking the vaccine any time soon, if ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the plan in Argentina anyway? I hear they are not planning on vaccinating everyone any way because they do not even have a pot to piss in financially speaking. Seems like a lost country at this point URU planning to have everyone vaccinated they are one of only 4 countries in the Americas shooting for and working on every all vaccinated. I believe that cannot be said of Argentina.

What is the plan in Argentina anyway? I hear they are not planning on vaccinating everyone any way because they do not even have a pot to piss in financially speaking. Seems like a lost country at this point URU planning to have everyone vaccinated they are one of only 4 countries in the Americas shooting for and working on every all vaccinated. I believe that cannot be said of Argentina.

Pensador, with all due respect for both you and our neighbours across the river, Uruguay has a 2019 population estimate of 3.5 million, versus 45 million for Argentina.

I have not heard that Argentina plans on leaving anyone who wants the vaccine without it. At present they are bringing in weekly planeloads of the Sputnuk V vaccine from Russia, and an Argentine lab is gearing up to begin production of the same vaccine here very soon.

The plan is on this page:

You might consider it to be optimistic and unreal, but there is a plan, and it does include everyone. Like other countries who planned in advance for this, around the middle of last year Argentina had to make a bet on which vaccine would pass trials and be available to use. Argentina made a big bet on the Oxford / Astra-Zeneca vaccine, buying 22 million doses, and Argentinian company, mAbxience, has actually produced 24 million doses and plans to produce between 150 and 250 million this year. Unfortunately the plan ran into problems at the Mexico end of the joint venture, which is why Argentina is scrambling to get vaccines to make up the shortfall in the meantime.

There's an update about the mAbxience vaccines and more here:

it seems that the first doses will be delivered in April. I also read that there's a plan to produce Sputnik V in Argentina, but that will obviously take some time. Bear in mind that there are not many countries in LatAm with the capability to produce vaccines. Argentina's capability could be very useful later on if vaccine hoarding by countries increases.

Uruguay is very late starting its vaccination program, and they're seeing a major spike in infection now. Chile isn't seeing any impact on infections from its vaccination program, the hospital system has collapsed in some regions already. Brazil has a loony president and a collapsed health system. By comparison, Argentina is not doing badly at this point.

Translation of the sub-headline
This afternoon the Aerolineas Argentinas plane with another 370,000 Sputnik V lands in Ezeiza and on Sunday one from KLM with 218,400 AstraZeneca from the Covax program. The arrival of 1,000,000 from Sinopharm is expected next week. In this way, strong progress can be made in the vaccination campaign.

Granted, 1.58 million doses isn't huge progress in a nation of 45 million people, but neither is it insignificant.

Of course, my view of the F&F government is generally positive, and we all view things through the lens of our own worldview. Which is why we have "El Obelisko lleno de pelotudos dos veces por semana", to quote Guille Aquino.

Bear in mind that there are not many countries in LatAm with the capability to produce vaccines. Argentina's capability could be very useful later on if vaccine hoarding by countries increases.

This is very true! And I'm proud to say that one of my Brazilian students recently landed a job at Butantan Institute, which is producing vaccine in Brazil. No thanks to Bolsos the clown.

As a teacher, it feels very good to see one's students doing well :)

This is the vaccine from Butantán that I was referring to in the previous post. Apologies for two posts in a row, but it's too late to edit the above

I'd wait and see how this works out. There must have been immense pressure to produce a favourable result in Chile . I have "skin in the game", unlike most people here I guess, my son was vaccinated with Sinovac there today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back