Why is coffee so 5hite and expensive here?

I never knew they sell coffee in tea bags until I moved here. I do not recommend.

the coffee bags are not like tea bags . They are made for a Philips coffee maker called the Senseo . Its actually OK - the sytem works well but I dont think it exists in the USA

It would seem I am not alone.

The best of the worst I've had to resort to drinking is Cafe 51 beans bought from the supermarket. The last lot cost 158 pesos for 500gr which given the quality is daylight robbery but as the wife bought me an espresso machine for my last birthday I have to be seen to be using it. I noticed there wasn't any left last week in the supermarket shelf so as I'm down to my last bag I suspect I'll be on the Nescafe instant next week. At least the quality of that is consistent. :rolleyes:

Good coffee is expensive, always, except if you're in Costco while they are having a great sale on Starbucks French Roast.
N

Good coffee is expensive, always,

Well in the UK you can get good quality coffee in any supermarket for at least half the price you pay for the awful stuff they sell here. Even the Holiday Inn Express Richmond Vancouver had great tasting help yourself coffee at reception last time I was there. So good was it when I asked which brand it was the girl at reception gave us the guest card and told us to pop across the road to Costco to buy some. Cheap as chips it was.

I was told that supermarket coffee is very low grade in Argentina and that because it is poor quality it is toasted with sugar to reduce the bitter taste of poor quality coffee. There are some expensive brands of coffee sold in super markets that state they are not toasted with sugar but I haven't found much difference except in the inflated price. I bought a Nespresso machine so that solves the problem. Nespresso is excellent coffee. The problem is that coffee in cafes is usually horrible - generally strong and bitter. Like so many things in Argentina, the national standard is poor and becomes the standard by which people judge the rest of the world. This seems to be why, for example, someone once wrote about a relative who considers Argentine medialunas better than croissants served in Paris. I guess you like what you're used to.

Well in the UK you can get good quality coffee in any supermarket for at least half the price you pay for the awful stuff they sell here. Even the Holiday Inn Express Richmond Vancouver had great tasting help yourself coffee at reception last time I was there. So good was it when I asked which brand it was the girl at reception gave us the guest card and told us to pop across the road to Costco to buy some. Cheap as chips it was.

While I don't drink instant coffee I was once surprised in a London hotel when I found out that the coffee served at breakfast was Nescafe Gold. It was better than almost any coffee I've been served in Argentina - and it's instant!

I was told that supermarket coffee is very low grade in Argentina and that because it is poor quality it is toasted with sugar to reduce the bitter taste of poor quality coffee. There are some expensive brands of coffee sold in super markets that state they are not toasted with sugar but I haven't found much difference except in the inflated price. I bought a Nespresso machine so that solves the problem. Nespresso is excellent coffee. The problem is that coffee in cafes is usually horrible - generally strong and bitter. Like so many things in Argentina, the national standard is poor and becomes the standard by which people judge the rest of the world. This seems to be why, for example, someone once wrote about a relative who considers Argentine medialunas better than croissants served in Paris. I guess you like what you're used to.

Spot on.

I was thinking Nespresso might be a good idea as one would imagine the quality is the same here as it is in the UK. We're off to the supermarket this afternoon and although during this weather my mind will be more on buying beer I shall take note of the prices of Nespresso pods. It'll be interesting to see how much they cost.

Bonafide has good ground coffee; I liked "Franja Blanca". I bought Barista coffee at Tienda de Cafe and for the past week, my kitchen has been invaded by the great smell from the pack. I haven't tried it yet.

Back