Why is this forum so quiet?

I think it has a lot to do with the ''rich cranky old farts '' around here lol, now on serious note, i must say, pc pretty much killed this forum and i have observed that some of the members posting have their own agenda and will not tolerate anything different to their point of view.
There was a time when you could express your ideas and exchange concepts in a friendly manner, over time, that became more and more rare and personal attacks became the norm
Imagine a new member coming into this forum seeing all of that..... i don't think that creates an inviting place for anyone.......and also on the other hand, i believe that many people are not prepared to hear certain things that happened here in the past that need to be taken into account when talking about economy or politics........ i guess that's the part where cranky old farts that been here a lot longer than others can be understood as negative input........It is kinda sad to see us putting our agenda before people, after all, i , at one point thought, this community would be a nice place where we could help each other and not try to impress the other with our infinite wisdom proving how wrong or misinformed the other is.....

A few years ago those who posted "negative" comments -- in reality accurate comments about life in BA and fair criticisms of the CFK administration - were treated abusively by many people on this site. Most of the defenders of Argentina have now left (it was too tough for them) and it's the old timers who have stayed on, many of whom were the ones who spoke frankly about the problems here.

A few years ago those who posted "negative" comments -- in reality accurate comments about life in BA and fair criticisms of the CFK administration - were treated abusively by many people on this site. Most of the defenders of Argentina have now left (it was too tough for them) and it's the old timers who have stayed on, many of whom were the ones who spoke frankly about the problems here.
so so true. if you posted anything like an opinion, you needed to be prepared to back it up, with verifiable references. that takes technical skills. damn, just don’t those. me kenna, good to hear from you.

sorry mc kenna. the eyes are the first to go. this is a great site thats helped alot of new people in argentina. i learned alot about immigration, banking, transferring money, visa runs, economics, exchange rates, third world politics, and crazy laws. thanks baexpats.

The forum may be quiet now, but in the last few years, I have gained from it invaluable information about living in Argentina, its pros and cons. It has been a fantastic learning site for me, although the negativists really are a shame.

What did I gain from reading and participating in this forum? I once got invited to a dinner party, and it was very welcome because I was very lonely! What I learned gave me many reasons why I should stop ignoring Argentina and embrace it. I left in 1975, and for a decade refused to return for a visit. Then, little by little I started to go back for short vacations, but always keeping an arms length away from falling in love again. I got burned once and I did not want to duplicate the experience. Let me give you an analogy of how I felt.

I went to high school in Buenos Aires, and I hated it. Of course, I was a poor student, so that may have something to do with it. Later, I raised four children in California, and they all loved high school there. I could not understand how they could love an experience I hated. I would ask them about it, and I tried to understand their love and my hatred.

In 1975 I left Argentina disgusted. Thirty years later, when I discovered this forum, I was fascinated that some expats actually enjoyed living in Argentina. By reading their comments, I slowly started to see things in another light. I was amazed at how they would appreciate things I took for granted, and how perhaps I should start looking at things with different eyes.

I have to tell all of you that this forum helped me rekindled the love I once had for Argentina. It's like having dumped a former girlfriend, only to meet her new boyfriend and to hear him give me tons of reasons why my ex is actually a terrific person, and somehow I missed it. Sadly, it's too late to go back to her, but luckily for me, Argentina takes lots of lovers, even those that strayed.

A special thank you to all members that, for years and years, have so generously shared their experiences of living in Argentina.

I'll be back in BA in September to continue my love affair with an old girlfriend. How exciting!

Hasta luego to all.

The new format is less personal. They put our small crowd in a big room.

Back