Why not Belgrano?

steveinbsas said:
For those expats who work there and don't wish to commute, living in "expat central" may be a necessity and of course some do prefer to live there.

Even with a commute you never have to travel for more than half an hour - unless you work in La Boca. In London i used to travel more than an hour going in and as many as two hours going home. That is standard for many who live in large cities all over the globe. As Steve said, to have less congestion and amenities all close by more than warrants a little public transport time...

We're over in la imprenta, which I think is technically palermo just about...

Its nice. But its a bit anonymous and soulless, the noise and pollution from libertador gets tiring and there's not a lot of character. Served well for our first couple of years, but we're going to move towards collegiales / palermo for a bit more peace and character.

I absolutely love Belgrano R and Belgrano C. If I could I would buy a house or PH there!

I live in Belgrano and when I plan my big escape from the US and come back, I couldnt imagine living anywhere else... Its Buenos Aires, best kept secret... housing wise anyway!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE...

SFMike said:
My impression was the Belgrano was more expensive than Palermo.

A friend of mine recently bought an apartment in Palermo four blocks the Plaza Italia subte station.

Both apartments are about 100 square meters. His apartment is six years old and mine is sixty (completely recycled in 1999). His ABL taxes are $1550 per year and mine are just over $240. His water bill is twice as much as mine as well (both units have 1.5 baths).

His monthly consorcio expenses are about $900 pesos per month. He doesn't have a pool, gym, or baulera, but he does have a colchera, an elevator, and a portero who's job is easier than most as there is no building "entrance" to maintain (just a solid metal door than opens directly into the garage).

My monthly consorcio fees are $6 (that's right, six pesos) for my share of the electric bill for the lights in the pasillo.

My one neighbor and I take turns keeping it clean.

Steve, i think you did the right thing buying a PH. When we arrived that's exactly what I wanted (to rent). But they were few & far between unfurnished & in our price range. Even to buy I think there are many more apartments than PHs on the market. Luckily I do have a cute one that I work in! But I live in a boring old regular apartment & pay lots of expensas!!!

Belgrano is hardly a secret, it is one of the priciest high-class neighbourhoods in all of Argentina ("R", Maure street, etc). Mos of us argentineans cannot even fathom to onw something or even pay rent on those cobbled streets. I visit often there, nice place.

Shhhhh shhhh, can you all just shut up about Belgrano and Nunez?? They are lovely neighbourhoods and we don't need them getting tramped all over by foreigners looking for the next big thing (for foreigners that is, anyone local already knows how nice these neighbourhoods are)... I ride my bike all around this end of the city, out to Zona Norte etc., The only time I have been into Recoleta or down to centro in the past year or so was to go to a movie... otherwise I have no reason to venture that way, less ever since the Village Recoleta closed (is it reopened yet?) You can get anything you want in Belgrano / Nunez... some very nice restaurants in the area as well. Have yet to check out the new Shopping...

DOT Baires is very nice indeed, and a good reason to visit another neighboourhood: Saavedra (even when there is some crime going given that it is so close to the classic "escape" routes, Panamericana and General Paz).

syngirl said:
Shhhhh shhhh, can you all just shut up about Belgrano and Nunez?? They are lovely neighbourhoods and we don't need them getting tramped all over by foreigners looking for the next big thing

Don't worry, syngirl, I think iStar and gouchobob will have more success in scaring newcomers away than someone like me will have attracting them. There aren't many PH for sale here, but certainly more than in Recoleta or Palermao...and a lot cheaper!

Back