Why not Belgrano?

jp said:
We're over in la imprenta, which I think is technically palermo just about...

Its nice. But its a bit anonymous and soulless, the noise and pollution from libertador gets tiring and there's not a lot of character. Served well for our first couple of years, but we're going to move towards collegiales / palermo for a bit more peace and character.

JP - we're neighbors :)

I live on Libertador y Maure. I LOVE this neighborhood. I love the neighborhood cafes. I love that when I forget my wallet or I don't have a small enough bill, the guy at the kiosko or the waiter at La Imprenta just tells me to pay him tomorrow. I love that I can run in the park and watch the races at the hipodromo from my window. I love that I can get just about anywhere in 15 minutes. I love that I can walk to Canitas but don't have to deal with the noise.

If I could buy anywhere (and had an unlimited budget), I lust after the old houses in Belgrano Chico. So beautiful, so scenic.

Great topic! Belgrano does look like a nice neighborhood and I have been thinking about that area for some time now. Maybe I should talk to Pericles about the real estate there, if he has some spare time in February.

btw, nice place steveinbsas...

subscribed to this thread. I've thought about getting out of recoleta recently and I think belgrano would be my next choice.

The area around La Imprenta is great. I grew up there, and watched it evolve. La Imprenta was La Prensa newspaper's original printing plant - it was vacant for many years before getting recycled. The Solar de la Abadia shopping stands where a soda plant was - unfortunately, the original 1910 brick building with cobblestone alleys was razed to build the mall.

That neighborhood has everything: it is near Palermo, and also near the subway in Cabildo and Lacroze. A fifteen-minute ride away from downtown.

My daughter lives in nearby Colegiales, in an 1913 house. There are many of those in the area, which is getting yuppified fast. It's much quieter than La Imprenta, with very few high rises. However, there are hardly any restaurants nearby - they are all at least ten or fifteen blocks away.

I love this topic, at last Belgrano and not always Palermo. We live here too and since we are a bunch of "belgranenses" I propose we meet nearby in a cafe or something ...

Sara - that is so interesting - I had no idea on the history of La Imprenta or the mall. I know there used to be a lot of stables along Libertador and that it was the riding club at one point across from the race track (now the huge high-rise).

I would love to have a Belgrano get-together, it would be great to meet neighbors!

I landed in belgrano a little over 8 months ago when i first got here. Scenic, yes, great neighbourhood vibe, yes, but I was near coughlan station and after a month I had to get out because of the sheer inaccessibility of the place. Just to get the subte one had to take a colectivo, think 1hr+ trips to get anywhere. And when you're ready to explore the city that can be limiting, you get home at 7pm and you're so tired from all the commuting going out again hardly seems an option. I guess it depends what you're after. If you're living here forever, I could see why peace and quite could become important. And I'll never understand why time and time again expats will give up an authentic experience for pricey western comfort in palermo. But speaking as a young person who goes to theatre or live music almost every night, san telmo rocks my kasbah. Cheap, real, cool. I dont even think most of the argentines have caught on yet. Check it out before the gentrification process fully takes its course!!!

Buen Goro said:
And I'll never understand why time and time again expats will give up an authentic experience for pricey western comfort in palermo.

what are you talking about? please explain how your experience is "more authentic" than mine.

San Telmo is not authentic anymore - it used to be, but it now caters to foreigners, tourists, and artsy types. It is crime ridden, and Porteños avoid it like the plague. We only go there when overseas visitors come - they all love Plaza Dorrego, specially the antiques fair held on Sundays, and the many street performers dancing tango - good tourist sights.

Real neighborhoods like Belgrano or Caballito are far more authentic - that's where Porteños choose to live.

Back