WiFi repeater needed

We have a TP Link Deco system in our house and it works great. Looks like it's around 90K at the moment on Mercado Libre

Hello, I have a tp-link Mesh Wi-Fi extender AC 750 Dual Band RE220 I brought from the US. I just seem to be unable to install it. I looked at you tube tutorials, visited the manufacturer's website, etc., all to no avail. Where can I go for technical advice? Thank you.

I used this for a nice couple of years, worked very well.
Tiny and cheap:

Once I needed a multi-floor setup, I bought 3 eeros and never looked back.
Pricier but worth it.

I don't need speed, just need to be able to use the computer in the living room. Right now, I only get good signal in the bedroom, the gloomiest room with the ugliest view.

I don't need speed, just need to be able to use the computer in the living room. Right now, I only get good signal in the bedroom, the gloomiest room with the ugliest view.
You have a trade-off - much better speed and immunity from interference (because of the greater spectrum bandwidth) at 5.8GHz, versus larger range and poorer interference performance at the lower frequency of 2.4GHz. Because: higher bandwidth for the same number of WiFi users allows more easily avoiding interference between users (typically done dynamically by the router), and lower frequencies have better building penetration. Those are your boundary conditions, no getting around them without a repeater.

Do you have a WiFi scanner program on your laptop? It would show all of the WiFi access points (on both 2.4 and 5.8GHz) it can see, and you can see if yours is interfered by another. It's a typical problem in apartment buildings, since users are separated by only a wall or a ceiling. If it is, and you have control of your WiFi router, you can set your WiFi channel manually. I'd suggest checking 5.8GHz first, as several posters have indicated, it's much faster. Check it where you want to be (not in your bedroom, I assume). If you can resolve the problem there, fine, otherwise try 2.4GHz.

For most apartments, a repeater is not needed with the proper setup. Devices further away from the router should be connected using the 2.4 GHz due to their range and better ability to penetrate through walls and other solid obstructions. Devices closer to the router can connect using the 5Ghz. Your router is likely dual band and can broadcast both at the same time. 2.4GHz is actually quite fast and enough for typical usage. I can stream HD videos on 2.4GHz on a TV that is in a room furthest away from the router, with four walls between them, one of the walls being solid brick.

1. Make sure your router is not on the floor and not directly against a solid wall. I put mine on top of the hutch on my desk.

2. Keep the router away from other electronic devices.

3. If you use a streaming device, make sure the USB power cord, which also acts as the antenna is directed away from other cables. I actually hang the USB cable vertically behind the TV, away from the other power cords and power strip. That was a huge difference. My FireTV stick loses internet connection once in a while before I moved the USB cable away from the other power cables.

4. If you have an unstable connection using 2.4GHz, try switching the channel to Channel 11. It might have defaulted to channel 6. You can also try channel 1 if 6 or 11 didn't improve the quality of the connection.

5. For those having connection problems between floors, try changing the angle of the antennas instead of leaving them just pointing up. Try 30 degree for example. If you cannot adjust the antennas because they are internal, you can try reposition the router itself.

Last edited:
4. If you have an unstable connection using 2.4GHz, try switching the channel to Channel 11. It might have defaulted to channel 6. You can also try channel 1 if 6 or 11 didn't improve the quality of the connection.

Several years back I was in the food court at Maiquetia airport, frustrated by full WiFi signal strength but no data and not being able to actually do anything.

After checking with a WiFi scanner, I saw that every vendor had their own WiFi access point, and they had all defaulted to channel 6 🙄

Modern routers should be a bit more intelligent, though.

Back