Will the Border be closed for the rest of the year?

AEP was supposed to have regional international flights to Brazil and Chile this year. Some may remember that it used to until it was stopped by the old government a few years ago to make more capacity for domestic flights in an effort to bring fares down. Growth never really reaches what was expected and in January the new government announced they would reverse this decision to allow regional international flights again.

The reality is that some renovations need to be done to the terminal and now with quarantine etc the project is running behind. So all regional flights remain at EZE, should they resume.

But by DEC we will probably see this as non-news as only domestic flights will be happening anyway. The “scandal” to watch for in the media is how much advantage AR gets vs. foreign carriers from having slots at AEP while others force their pax to schlepp out to EZE.

Just as I was starting to look forward to my monthly Brazil and beyond trips starting 6 minutes from my door.

Go figure...! That's all the piece said.
Aeroparque apparently = Jorge Newbery Airport (which was 'internationalized' for South American destinations last February). So my read would be it's to keep all travel transits with those catastrophic Latin America countries enumerated by the NY Times article out of Argentina. Good move by Argentina.

I view this as a positive sign. In a post chinavirus world, international airports will have to be completely reconfigured. This means new security protocol, overhauled passenger flow, and a ton of new technology. This will take time, analysis and lots of money. At Ezeiza, the technology investment is going to be large relative airport budget. Ezeiza's technology is stone age. It will have to be closer to state of the art before international travel can be opened. Argentina has no choice.

I perceive the temporary closure of Newberry to international connection as an indication that all efforts and money will be dedicated to capacitacion of Ezeiza. It will be a lighter lift to focus on one airport rather than two. And Ezeiza is the logical place to begin.

Consider also that the economic and political pressure on the Argentine government is enormous. Aerolineas is burning through millions of dollars in taxpayer money everyday. The Argentine government needs to get Aerolineas producing revenue again and desperately needs the tourist dollars.

Antipodean knows a lot about the industry. He/she may have something to add.

I view this as a positive sign. In a post chinavirus world, international airports will have to be completely reconfigured. This means new security protocol, overhauled passenger flow, and a ton of new technology. This will take time, analysis and lots of money. At Ezeiza, the technology investment is going to be large relative airport budget. Ezeiza's technology is stone age. It will have to be closer to state of the art before international travel can be opened. Argentina has no choice.

I perceive the temporary closure of Newberry to international connection as an indication that all efforts and money will be dedicated to capacitacion of Ezeiza. It will be a lighter lift to focus on one airport rather than two. And Ezeiza is the logical place to begin.

Consider also that the economic and political pressure on the Argentine government is enormous. Aerolineas is burning through millions of dollars in taxpayer money everyday. The Argentine government needs to get Aerolineas producing revenue again and desperately needs the tourist dollars.

Antipodean knows a lot about the industry. He/she may have something to add.

I lost you at “money and lots of it”... not gonna happen in Argentina for a long time to come. It had its chance in past years and nothing really changed for our airports in terms of technology and standards. Just lipstick on a pig with a few new buildings that look nicer and cameras at Aduanas to see if you’re nervous and have cocaine up your butt or one iPad too many.

The SNA which finances most Capex at airports won’t have a dime, especially if / when Argentina defaults. The airport operators are limited by ORSNA on what they can do and finance. Their stock prices have also taken a major hit and would be affected by a national default in terms of access to dollars - which you need to buy technology.

Last time I arrived at EZE in March 2020 I was waiting in that 1982 baggage hall wondering why it was taking so long for bags to come up before I finally put my head through the hole to tell someone...all the bags were already on the belt, the loaders were drinking mate and just forgot to turn on the switch to start the conveyor belt. 2020, gateway to the nation.

The government already made their “gesture” of efficiency by finally combing Aerolineas and Austral and allegedly saving $100m a year. But they can’t fire or suspend or pay staff less... saving from branding agency retainers perhaps?

When I hear things about Argentina needing new technology or money I immediately know it'll never happen.

Consider yourself lucky to just leave/arrive on time.

Back