Will the expat invasion end?

Ariel

Registered
With high inflation in just about everything and jobs hard to get, I am wondering how long people will keep coming here to live as expats. Will the expats who are here stay?

I think most expats that come to Argentina don´t depend on jobs in Argentina
But yes, the decline will either start in 2008 or 2009 in my opinion, especially if the US goes through a recession

The U.S. is already in a recession. Thing is...the Americans coming here probably already have savings or whatever anyway. Regardless, there is no reason to come here anymore...its like Prague in 1990...well the "Prague of BA" was 2003-2005. Its over and people are fed up and have discovered the various ways that they are cheated here and its just not worth it anymore. All of these people who buy/bought these little studios to rent to Foreigners at an exhorbitant rate may last a little longer but the floodgates are closing quickly until after the next crisis...

"rmartinbuenosaires" said:
The U.S. is already in a recession. Thing is...the Americans coming here probably already have savings or whatever anyway. Regardless, there is no reason to come here anymore...its like Prague in 1990...well the "Prague of BA" was 2003-2005. Its over and people are fed up and have discovered the various ways that they are cheated here and its just not worth it anymore. All of these people who buy/bought these little studios to rent to Foreigners at an exhorbitant rate may last a little longer but the floodgates are closing quickly until after the next crisis...
You think that it will be hard in 2008 or 2009 to rent out your property?
Argentina is still pretty cheap for someone who comes on a one month one time holiday.
Shopping is also still cheap

I never said I rent out my property. I live here fulltime.Shopping is cheap? Well, I disagree personally. What would you want to buy here other than food? Everything else that is made here is of poor quality and the prices for what you get are not cheap. Even imported items like washing machines and dryers are so bad that they only last two years or so. No shopping is actually much cheaper in the U.S. with sales and a larger variety of choices.

I just asked, I don´t know if you have a property.
If you watch on fridays and saturdays in Calle Florida you have the confirmation that shopping is cheap in Argentina

Will the invasion end? I don't think it'll ever end but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a slowdown with American travelers due to the falling U.S. dollar. Other currencies are doing well though, so it would just change the demographic. Inflation in Argentina is also a major problem and it's days of being "the new Prague" are numbered. It's cheaper to live in a country like Thailand for instance and other places like Africa and China are starting to get more attractive. I'd expect continued growth in tourism though.
Will the expats who are here, stay? One blog I read a long time ago said that 90% of expats will leave within 1 year, mainly because of the hassle of visas and getting work. Within the remaining 10%, only half will stay longer than 5 years. That might not seem like a lot but you have to remember that there's thousands of new arrivals each year (or should I say month).
In my experience, expats that have been here more than a year have a bigger reason to stay outside of work or adventure. Falling in love with an Argentine and having children being the biggest one. Also buying real estate or building a business. They'll stay no matter what happens with the economy or government.

Bill-I believe most of what you said is probably pretty accurate. As far as the dollar goes...well with most currencies, it will rebound eventually. Unfortunately the current dictatorship in the U.S. refuses to acknowledge the problem and does nothing to stop it. Basically, the U.S. is pulling an "Argentina" in the sense that it is good for exports and makes American items cheaper around the world. Hopefully after the current regime is desposed of in a year or so, the dollar will rebound. I mean, c'mon, $1 = 2.10 British pounds?!! I am sure the UK is noticing a lack of American tourists with those prices, not that it matters as much now since they probably get a flood of tourism from the rest of Europe.I am surprised there is not more British people here with the pound at over 6.50!! This place would be a bargain for the British...

Interesting question. Ive mentioned before i read this famous book on the expat community living in Paris in the 20s. the author describes how it was basically coming to an end anyway for the types who had moved there and that boatloads of mainstream americans were pouring in to visit and experience the fun they had heard and read about, however, the economic crash put that to an abrupt end and everyone was soon back home.
I think different types are coming here today than came in 2002.
I think most will find the soaring prices a reason to pick up and leave (i just got back from the usa and im in shock about how much more i pay here than back in usa just 2 months ago). Also, the streets choked with black pollution pouring from the never inspected trucks, busses, taxis, etc. with tailpipes pointed at the sidewalk, at us!
In short, the quality of life is so much lower than back home. we dont live well here.

Back