Will This Baby Monitor Work? Voltage Question

allcraz

Registered
I want to order a baby monitor from the States which says "Input 100-120V AC 60 Hz; output: 6V DC 400 mA." I have a small transformer that plugs into the wall that says it converts 110 to 220 with a 30V capacity. It'll work, right? I'm always afraid I'm going to ruin something :) This transformer was originally used with an answering machine from the States. Thanks!

Do not Plug it in directly to the Outlet!! I ruinded a Wireless Modem....

The Transformer you need should convert from 220V TO 110V and since the monitor needs 400mA, The small Tranformers that plugs into the wall would work.

Make sure it converts from 220V TO 110V

Yes, julianelizondo is right, you need to make sure your transformer converts 220 to 110v, not the other way around. If you bought the transformer here, then it likely does just that, but double check and make sure. For larger devices you need to also check the wattage, but small electronics like a baby monitor consume almost nothing, so if you do need to buy a transformer, the smallest one will be sufficient.

As a side note, I've noticed that higher end power supplies, such as for a laptop or many cellphone rechargers, can handle 110 or switch automatically to 220. (they will be marked something like input:110/220). In this case I was always buying and carting around (and losing) the little tiny adapters that go from the V shaped or pin-shaped plugs here to the parallel plug we use in the US. What I discovered is that you can take a pair of pliers and twist the US-style plug into a V-shape, and it generally works fine. It's a bit counterintuitive- I would have thought that it would fall out or be difficult to push in all the way, but it actually mates up surprisingly well. IMPORTANT: Do NOT do this if your device is only marked for 110 input. It will likely be fried instantly.

To make you feel better, unless you have an absolutely enormous house, or a large garden that you'll be sitting in while baby inside sleeping, or a baby with special needs, a baby monitor really is not necessary at all, so don't know if it's a purchase worth ordering to here. A friend of mine had one here and decided it was the reason she couldn't get a proper sleep, she lay there anxiously waiting for every breath (and when they're newborns they have got some WEIRD breathing rhythms where I swear, they won't take a breath for a good 30secs or more and you're certain something's up and then... they're fine.

The first few months you're up all the time, forget the monitor, just put a bassinet in your room.

Syngirl is correct. Save your money and spend it on coffee. I had one with my daughter, but you don't really need it.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm not convinced I need a monitor, either. The bassinet is sitting there waiting by our bed, so the monitor would be for later when Baby starts sleeping upstairs.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm not convinced I need a monitor, either. The bassinet is sitting there waiting by our bed, so the monitor would be for later when Baby starts sleeping upstairs.

If you've lost a baby to SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome), or if you have any family history of apnea, then you want to monitor all babies and younger siblings. Complete with electrodes. Until they hit ~9 months old. Punto. I/we lost our first to SIDS and there is no questioning the decision.
- Jim.

Back