Will tv work from the US work here?

kristin

Registered
Just wondering if a tv from the US will work on a transformer here. It's a 110v 60 Hz tv. I know transformers do not convert the Hz, but I have previously been told it would work...just don't want to blow up the apartment or the tv. Thanks!

Sorry Kristin - but your US TV will not work in Argentina - This because the TV signal in US (called NTSC) is incompatible with the signal in Argentina (called PAL) - Yes, there are TV receivers which are compatible with the 2 systems, or even the 3 world systems (NTSC-PAL-SECAM) but Americans in the USA never hear about these except in stores specializing in electronics for "export" - all voltages, all systems... Same problem will be with any video player from the US. There are "all voltage, all systems" video tape players/recorders as well. I bought my TV and video equipment in Miami. It is slightly less expensive than what you would pay in Buenos Aires. Tapes or DVD you buy in the US will not work in Argentina on regular equipment, and same problem for tapes or DVD you would buy in Argentina and would bring back to play in the US, unless again using special "all systems" equipment.
Have a look on Google and Wikipedia for "international tv signals and DVD standards" so you will get all the details.
By the way - no problem for "audio equipment", stereos etc...

Best regards -

Forgot to mention - DVD "systems" are defined by world "regions" - the US uses DVD designed for "Region 1" - and Argentina uses DVD for "Region 4"... There is equipment that permits to play DVD regardless of origin - called "ALL Regions" - Your laptop or PC is certainly Region 1 (US) and will not play DVD Region 4...

Skipper747 said:
Tapes or DVD you buy in the US will not work in Argentina on regular equipment...

TVs and such won't work here, but US tapes and DVDs do. The trick is to have a dual-system player - called "binorma" here. I bought the cheapest one in the market, and have had no trouble with tapes and DVDs.

I think the op was just talking about TVs, but if you have a DVD player, most can be de regionalised.
Just Google search de regionalise and you make and model. It is more often than not just a matter of punching in some code.
As for the transformer just ensure that the V/A rating is enough. It should be about 10% more than the wattage quoted on your TV.
(I know that Watts = Volts x Amps but there are other factors too complex to discuss here)

Skipper747 said:
Sorry Kristin - but your US TV will not work in Argentina - This because the TV signal in US (called NTSC) is incompatible with the signal in Argentina (called PAL) - Yes, there are TV receivers which are compatible with the 2 systems, or even the 3 world systems (NTSC-PAL-SECAM) but Americans in the USA never hear about these except in stores specializing in electronics for "export" - all voltages, all systems... Same problem will be with any video player from the US. There are "all voltage, all systems" video tape players/recorders as well. I bought my TV and video equipment in Miami. It is slightly less expensive than what you would pay in Buenos Aires. Tapes or DVD you buy in the US will not work in Argentina on regular equipment, and same problem for tapes or DVD you would buy in Argentina and would bring back to play in the US, unless again using special "all systems" equipment.
Have a look on Google and Wikipedia for "international tv signals and DVD standards" so you will get all the details.
By the way - no problem for "audio equipment", stereos etc...

Best regards -

Here the system is not PAL but PAL-N. Europe has PAL and that is not compatible with Argentine PAL-N.

With Cablevision it is impossible to watch NTSC, but with Direct TV it is.

If it's a newer TV, you should be fine. Most HDTV's can handle PAL and NTSC. Mine does.

mikew said:
If it's a newer TV, you should be fine. Most HDTV's can handle PAL and NTSC. Mine does.

argentina is not PAL it is PAL-N. That is not the same.
PAL can not be converted into PAL-N. With a PAL/NTCS tv you could live in Europe and USA, not here. Unfortunately.

But why would you want to import a TV anyhow?
I know that relatively speaking they're expensive to buy here, but surely not more expensive than the cost of importing one?

Not to mention the risks involved with anything that has to come through Argentinian customs - in my 3 years here I'm running at about 50% success rate of things arriving at all!

In 2009 we bought, and brought with us in the container a Sharp Aquos (110-240V 50-60Hz) TV from J&R in NYC. My husband made sure before we bought it that it was compatible for the US and ARG. It works here, although it does not have the SAP feature which sucks when watching the Oscars for instance.

Back