Wine Bottle Shortage. Is it real or hype to justify price increases?

Traveler

Registered
News reports hint at a wine bottle shortage within the next few months. It's hard to complain about current wine prices as, by US standards, the prices are cheap and the quality excellent. I can live with increase costs but would miss my Malbec. Any thoughts as to the story being just more hype?

the story was on Argentinian TV last night, 14/7/2022 and this story on Bloomberg from last November.

Attachments

• 9563EF2E-20CF-4E79-8938-73E6AE95902C.jpeg
    9563EF2E-20CF-4E79-8938-73E6AE95902C.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 3
I was in Mendoza this time last year and they were talking about a wine bottle shortage for this year’s vintage.

I was in Mendoza this time last year and they were talking about a wine bottle shortage for this year’s vintage.
I've noticed people buying much more wine, in my opinion, than usual. I buy mine at an extremely well-stocked Chinese market and I've noticed people now buying multiple bottles at a time as well as watching the price goes up. I thought it might be buying in bulk to beat inflation but maybe this hype is also a reason?

I can't imagine Argentina's sophisticated wine industry not being prepared for this by now.

I've noticed people buying much more wine, in my opinion, than usual. I buy mine at an extremely well-stocked Chinese market and I've noticed people now buying multiple bottles at a time as well as watching the price goes up. I thought it might be buying in bulk to beat inflation but maybe this hype is also a reason?

I can't imagine Argentina's sophisticated wine industry not being prepared for this by now.
I guess folks would rather a few extra bottles of wine vs extra pesos in the account that might be worth less tomorrow.

I remembered this as a corcho shortage and I was wondering why my white wines were going from screw top to inconvenient corcho. A bottle shortage is much more logical.

Back