Witnessed a robbery in Belgrano

roadtrippin1

Registered
Hello, it's our fourth month in Argentina with my wife and we live in Belgrano. When we first came to Argentina, I was extremely prudent about security. I was always checking behind me, front, and the people passing by on the street from a long distance, I would change my path when I see anything even remotely strange or seemed off. Don't use phone outside, don't walk close to the road, stay away from motorcycles, dress somewhat poorly etc. Both my wife and I used concealable waist bags even if we went to a very close distance. After a few weeks, we started to act a little more relaxed because we really didn't see anything risky in our time in BA. Until today.

We were walking on Av. del Libertador. When we approached the corner around 6500 suddenly we heard some shouting. Two guys were wrestling in the middle of the avenue and it looked like it was going on for a while. one was on a bike with a big backpack, other one was on foot but with a helmet, there was also a third guy with another bike close to them, but he was waiting on the opposite direction. at first I thought they collided or sth and fighting about it. But that mothe****ker on foot wrestled the guy on the bike to the ground, took his backpack by force and jumped on the back of the third guy with bike and they fled.

I am originally from a semi-dictatorship country where only positive in daily life was security so it was pretty shocking to me to watch. What shocked me more was people did absolutely NOTHING. There were many cars waiting in both directions and they could do sth to help very easily but they just didn't. One pedestrian passed us by when we were watching the scene, she literally turned her head to the scene for one second without stopping walking and turned her head again and left. Car drivers just started to honk to the victim guy on the ground when green light was on. After a minute or so police came very casually walking and was speaking with the victim. I left there quite shocked.

I mean I can't blame people, I also just watched, but I am in a foreign country, can't speak the language properly, with a pregnant wife. I was also at the opposite side of a large avenue. Some people could definitely help the poor guy there. Nobody did.

I don't even know why I'm writing, just wanted to vent I guess. Damn, I really like this country, wish it was more secure. I got to go back to being paranoid I guess.

When you say "bike" do you mean bicycle or motorcycle? I'm guessing the latter.
Those criminals are called "motochorros".

Part of the problem here is the justice system, which tends to be very lenient with these criminals.

For those who might be wondering, here's a shot of where Libertador 6500 is located -

Libertador 6500.png

As a counterpoint to this, on Sunday night on the corner of Cordoba and Riobamba, I witnessed the following:
  1. A young man was waiting for the No. 12 bus that runs south along Riobamba (presumably with phone in hand).
  2. A chorro on a Rappi bicycle (perhaps disguised as a Rappi deliverer) with food box on the back travelling south along Riobamba snatched the phone as he passed, turned right into Cordoba and headed west.
  3. Young man number 1 set off at a very lively pace in pursuit of the rouge cyclist and started to make amazing ground on him. Still, the chase seemed futile until...
  4. He banged on the passenger side windows of a couple of cars also traveling west in an apparent attempt to hitch a lift and gain an advantage. And to my amazement, one of the drivers let him in. The last I saw was the door closing and chase being joined with the help of the internal combustion engine and a very generous motorist.
Don't know how it ended...

Hello, it's our fourth month in Argentina with my wife and we live in Belgrano. When we first came to Argentina, I was extremely prudent about security. I was always checking behind me, front, and the people passing by on the street from a long distance, I would change my path when I see anything even remotely strange or seemed off. Don't use phone outside, don't walk close to the road, stay away from motorcycles, dress somewhat poorly etc. Both my wife and I used concealable waist bags even if we went to a very close distance. After a few weeks, we started to act a little more relaxed because we really didn't see anything risky in our time in BA. Until today.

We were walking on Av. del Libertador. When we approached the corner around 6500 suddenly we heard some shouting. Two guys were wrestling in the middle of the avenue and it looked like it was going on for a while. one was on a bike with a big backpack, other one was on foot but with a helmet, there was also a third guy with another bike close to them, but he was waiting on the opposite direction. at first I thought they collided or sth and fighting about it. But that mothe****ker on foot wrestled the guy on the bike to the ground, took his backpack by force and jumped on the back of the third guy with bike and they fled.

I am originally from a semi-dictatorship country where only positive in daily life was security so it was pretty shocking to me to watch. What shocked me more was people did absolutely NOTHING. There were many cars waiting in both directions and they could do sth to help very easily but they just didn't. One pedestrian passed us by when we were watching the scene, she literally turned her head to the scene for one second without stopping walking and turned her head again and left. Car drivers just started to honk to the victim guy on the ground when green light was on. After a minute or so police came very casually walking and was speaking with the victim. I left there quite shocked.

I mean I can't blame people, I also just watched, but I am in a foreign country, can't speak the language properly, with a pregnant wife. I was also at the opposite side of a large avenue. Some people could definitely help the poor guy there. Nobody did.

I don't even know why I'm writing, just wanted to vent I guess. Damn, I really like this country, wish it was more secure. I got to go back to being paranoid I guess.
That could have just as easily happened in Miami. For sure!

What shocked me more was people did absolutely NOTHING.

It is either this or someone gets involved and then suddenly everyone gets involved and the thug has to watch out not to get lynched.

Don't bystanders anywhere else also prefer to ignore a theft that takes place in front of their eyes? I think this is not just Argentine behaviour. On the contrary, there are cases where Argentines do get involved to help the victim, because they are fed up of chorros and them not getting proper punishments.

Last edited:
I assume you're not from the U.S., because such incidents are a daily occurrence in most major cities, and often much worse. Generally, it's not unusual for bystanders to simply watch when a crime is being committed, and that's not exclusive to Argentina.

Regarding the perpetrator who committed the crime, things usually don't end well for them. Generally, these cowards target a victim they believe will be easy to assault. However, they eventually make a judgment error and attack the wrong person. Consequently, they end up either severely injured or dead themselves, or they get caught and arrested by the police.

A couple days ago I was meeting a friend for lunch downtown and there was a crowd of people looking across the street at some cops who were surrounding a bleeding guy slumped by a building. I asked what's up, and a bystander told me a robbery. I ask, is that the victim or the robber? The robber.
My friend saw it all, and said a lively debate about the ethics of beating a robber took place while the crowd was doing exactly that, between considering the matter. Then the police arrived.

(I think of this sort of scene when I hear talk of making guns more available... 🤔)

if you steal, ethics go out the window. don't be a shitty person, and you won't get what you deserve. zero sympathy for him.

Maybe not quite zero, but certainly an amount which could be measured in micro-giveashits.

I'm never going to forget that incident in which motochorros tried snatching a purse from a pregnant lady on the fly, without getting off the bike. She wouldn't let go and they dragged her for blocks. She wound up losing the baby. Now that was murder, in the first degree.

If you search the phrase "motochorros embarasada" you will find multiple incidents of pregnant women being attacked. (I use duck duck go, with the slider toggled to "Argentina")

There have to be limits to what a society will accept.

Back