Women Who've Made A Home Here For Love

I've no experience in home schooling, but I've known Adri's boy since he was in primary school (8) and now he's almost 17.
The friends he has are almost all from school which in turn provides the glue to his social life, which I have to say is a darned sight more active than mine :)

The comment "in addition to the lack of salary you will have" is worrisome because it means that you are not getting work experience or developing your career (and probably not increasing your savings). This leave you vulnerable if things go wrong in your marriage.

Well, I don't know what the OP does but it is certainly safe to assume that she will make much less here than she would outside of Argentina. I don't think it's a lack of work experience or that your career will necessarily suffer (in fact, it can be a plus, I loved hiring people with int'l experience). But her earnings certainly won't keep up. I'm not saying it is the end of the world but it is a factor to consider.

As for home-schooling, I think people touched on it already but social life for kids revolves around their schoolmates. And that's where they form their lifelong friendships. I would never homeschool here for that reason (and esp where we live, we're already isolated).

Well, I don't know what the OP does but it is certainly safe to assume that she will make much less here than she would outside of Argentina. I don't think it's a lack of work experience or that your career will necessarily suffer (in fact, it can be a plus, I loved hiring people with int'l experience). But her earnings certainly won't keep up. I'm not saying it is the end of the world but it is a factor to consider.

Its not even a matter of being able to support yourself in Argentina. Should the OP and her SO decide to move to the states (or anyone else for that matter), she will also need to be able to support them financially and prove this support to USCIS. In the end, with how much I was earning in Argentina, my accountant told me it wasn't enough to have to submit my taxes while living in BsAs.

In order to prove financial support, you need to submit your past three years of W2s, and you need to earn more than $25k US for a family of three. I wasn't making this on an Argentine salary and we weren't allowed to file jointly with my husbands earnings. Thankfully my parents are ok being my Husbands financial sponsor (which is a 10 year commitment in the eyes of the US Gov and no asking Uncle Sam for a dime). So if you are to move to the US, and you're not earning enough to meet the requirements, you better hope that you have someone that is willing to vouch for you.

Its so much to take into account and I just hope that the OP is focused on her career because it makes life that much easier (easier to move to the US, to support herself in Argentina, or wherever). I think you can gain beneficial experience no matter the country. I worked for an Argentine company and took so much away from it and it helped me land a stellar job here. But again, I explained to my husband before we decided to have kids that my career is very important and that while I want to have kids, I also want to have a career.

Having read all the posts in this thread, there's no doubt that planning ahead for such massive life changes is essential.
At least that's the theory.
I remember a boss I once had and he said to me when I started:
'Many people fail to plan, but not many plan to fail.'
Sort of stuck with me that one, but in the case of moving here I fell into a trance, packed my bags and jumped on the plane to be with the woman I love.
It was totally unplanned and left a lot of debris in its wake which is what I'm trying to convey here rather clumsily I suppose.

Back