Wonderful economic history of Argentina

I was never particularly sociable back home but since moving here for some reason I've managed to build up quite a decent circle of friends, both Argentines and foreigners. Sure, some of them probably still see me as more of an 'outsider' but I enjoy myself, so what the heck.

Not to mention the diverse and spectacular scenery in this country... apart from the US I'm honestly struggling to name a single country with so many amazing places to visit within its borders. All sorts of outdoor activities you can think of at a fraction of European prices, with diverse cities and easy access to so many more places elsewhere in S America.

It's also a lot cheaper than most of Europe/North America assuming you're paid in dollars. I'm sort of on a sabbatical now so the little work that I do, I do online, but even without using my savings I'm enjoying a higher quality of life here with way less money. Rent is 1/5th of what I used to be paying for a smaller apartment, food and taxis are between 50% and 70% cheaper, you all get the idea....

It's also culturally closer to what we're used to, compared to places like Thailand or Indonesia, which might be cheaper but having been there I'd say the quality of life is definitely a lot better here than in Southeast asia.

Great points, though I don't think Thailand, or at least Bangkok, is generally cheaper than Buenos Aires. Particularly with the recent surge in the dollar here.

But with the border closed things have gotten a lot more difficult. Before you could just fly to the US or Chile to purchase things not available or to expensive here. Or just escape the chaos for a little while.
I quite agree with you - being able to get out of the nuthouse every few months makes all the difference.

I quite agree with you - being able to get out of the nuthouse every few months makes all the difference.
totally agree.

i'm here because of work, but also my significant other is argie. when she's done with university and my work assignment ends, we're out of here.

I'm stuck here for family reasons, but why do so many expats suffer through this? Family, too?

IMO - Because we love paradox and can separate our issues into minor inconveniences or "qilombos".
  • Business opportunity (somehow it still exists in a few sectors)
  • Weather (blue skies in winter)
  • Lifestyle (social scene, more relaxed vibes, good food, cheap wine, lots of public holidays etc)
  • Social stress (more engaging people, less grumpy or passive-aggressive people than Europe, less rigid "authoritarianism" or "fear of unintentionally breaking small rules with big consequences", less pressure to always have the newest, biggest and most expensive toys)
  • Security (less risk of terrorism or mass shootings, less concern about health care costs, less fear of getting sued, depending on where you live/ lived less chance of getting pick pocketed)
  • Financial freedom (live on your own cash instead of a banks credit, lower costs of living)
  • Taxes (may vary, but they are actually not that bad)
Obviously for those born here in certain social classes, almost none of the above apply - it is an expat / privileged bubble like in many countries.

Only a country like Argentina could continuously fuck up its economy like clockwork. Everyone knows what the problems are but no one is willing to take the pain to fix it - so they keep pushing the can down the rode by continuing to print pesos, increases taxes on businesses and sell the story they are working for the 'poor'. Its a classic teach a man vs give a man a fish scenario. It's embarrasing watching corrupt politicians pretend like they give a fuck about the poor - they deliberately keep them poor to maintain their control over their income and make them dependent on Government help thus receiving votes. It's disgusting. The reaction to this lockdown is also amateur hour - there is a flat line with fuck all cases but states are still under lockdown (who haven't had cases for months) - another example of incompetent politicians filling their pockets while no one is around to do any checks and enforce controls on the populations to make them subservient. I know heaps of people who have lost their jobs and have businesses who are getting fucked by this lockdown. The worst thing is the lazy fuckers who have no interest in working anyway and say how much they care about old people while they sit on their ass and receive Government handouts or salaries.

Good question! Friends. GF. Adventure. Climate. Meat. Wine. Mountains. Also, I do not depend on the economy here and get paid in USD. A lot less suffering. But with the border closed things have gotten a lot more difficult. Before you could just fly to the US or Chile to purchase things not available or to expensive here. Or just escape the chaos for a little while. It was never my plan to stay for the rest of my life here, either.
Nailed it.

I'm in that privileged bubble, too, but hate large cities. Spent many years in the Washington, DC area - half an hour from the White House we had a home hidden in the woods, and a herd of seven deer at the bottom of our lot.

Still, the summer sky was a washed-out, pale grayish blue - nothing like the wonderful, deep cobalt blue skies here. Thanks for reminding me of the good things....!

Also, summers were muggy and unbearably humid - in fact, years ago British diplomats used to get hardship pay when stationed in Washington. Same as when serving in India.

I'm stuck here for family reasons, but why do so many expats suffer through this? Family, too?

1- Argentine partner cant leave his/her family and culture.
2- Divorced/separated with Argentine child
3-They are loco/a
4-The law/money lenders/people in their native country would like a word with them.
5-They are loco/a
6-They only spend half of the year here or return to native country fairly frequently
7-They are rich or earning in Dollars/Euros/Sterling etc
8-They are loco/a
9-?...

Back