Work Exchange: PA for Artist with MS in Patagonia

anneirene

Registered
For the past four months (after leaving BA, that is), I have been participating in a work-exchange. In exchange for room and board (delicious board, I might add), I work as one of two personal assistants for a woman with MS. The woman lives in a tiny town (population of around 2,000) in the foothills of the Andes. DEFINITELY a change from BA...for one, the aire is actually bueno :)

Anyway, if you are looking to change things up for the winter, I am on my way back to Cali and the woman is looking for a replacement for my shift. (You either do morning or afternoon shift, but I don't know whether my current coworker will want to change. I currently do morning shift, 9am to around 2pm then I sometimes cook dinner).

Here is her ad:

"Personal Assistant, needed on a small horse-breeding farm in the Andes of Northern Patagonia, Province Neuquen, for a 63-year-old woman with MS, Multiple Sclerosis.

About me: I have had relapsing-remitting MS since 1976. More importantly, I am an artist and an experienced horsewoman who is beginning to ride again after breaking my back in 2009. All my life, I have believed that creativity is healing, as well as the power and love of nature and her creatures, especially horses. I currently live on a small horse farm which serves as an office for large nearby Estancias Ranquilco and Colipilli. We are in a non-touristic part of Patagonia, in the foothills of the Andes, in the heart of the real gaucho (Argentine cowboy) culture.

In exchange for food and housing, you’ll be my personal assistant. Assistant duties include:
- Typing (internet work, like emails and Foundation work)
- Helping with occasional art shows
- Light housekeeping/cooking (to help supplement my employed maid/cook)
- Occasional help with the animals (giving food to the horses or gatito)
- Helping me get around (putting my wheelchair in my truck/pushing me around on occasion)
- Occasional help with my MS challenges (e.g. exercise)
- Acting as a host(ess) for international volunteers and clients for Estancia Ranquilco
- Making maté! A local herbal drink (don’t worry, we’ll teach you how!)
You are welcome to participate in many local activities, including: cattle drives/branding, riding horses, festivals (there are lots!), etc (email for more).

Required Skills:
- Mastery of English
- Basic computer skills
- Driver’s license
- Ability to drive a manual/stick-shift truck
Desired Skills:

- Basic Spanish (the more, the better! If you’re looking to improve your skills, this is the spot!)
- Horse skills (or looking to learn)

I need you to be “on call” when we’re together. Your private time is respected and arranged as needed. You must be flexible on hours and type of work. This a work-exchange for room and board.

Starting date is May 15th (slightly flexible). Minimum stay is one month. A stay of three months is preferred. Another start date of June 15th is also available.

You can google Virginia Neary Carrithers and my Foundation, Creativity Heals, for more information. (www.creativityheals.org)

Also google our nearby Estancia Ranquilco.

During the winter we may be traveling to nearby cities. All travel expenses are covered when you are with me. We are also about 1.5 hours from Caviahue ski resort, where you can go on days off."

If interested, you can email Ginny at: ginnycarrithers AT yahoo.com since I do not check my expats email too much.

However, if you have questions about the experience, you can email me at hildeb.anne AT gmail.com

Happy Job Hunting!

Back