Working in Uruguay

STElmoFranco

Registered
Hey,

I realize this isn't Buenos Aires/Argentina related, but do any of you know what sort of demand for native English speakers at businesses there is in Uruguay currently? It doesn't seem like there are very many expats in the country, but their economy is doing quite well I believe. I'm interested in work besides just teaching English.

Thanks for any insights!

There is somewhat of a demand for native speakers and there are many English institutes around (not sure how the hiring situation is right now though). Are you looking to work with a language school or work on your own?

I taught English in Montevideo a few years back. I worked at Berlitz for a year - the pay was a joke. I made much better money giving private lessons.

I live part time in Uruguay, and from what I hear from local expats jobs are scarce and salaries are miserly.

From my understanding, the job situation in Uruguay is awful, and not just for expats. The economy as a whole may be fine but there is a lot of inflation and jobs are scarce.

Current unemployment rate in Uruguay is around 7.9% and the same for Argentina based on INDEC figures. Inflation in Uruguay in 2009 was 5.9%, pick your own number for Argentina. My guess is the salaries would probably be lower. COL could be lower as well but this is open to debate, at least the COL is not increasing as fast as Argentina.

Right now COL in Uruguay is about 30% higher than here. Know this from personal experience, as I have homes on both sides of the river.

In 2009 inflation was 9.8% - much lower than in Argentina.

SaraSara said:
Right now COL in Uruguay is about 30% higher than here. I know this from personal experience, as I have homes on both sides of the river.

In 2009 inflation was 9.8% - much lower than in Argentina.

Could be but the Mercer COL index for 2009 shows B.A. at 112 and Montevideo at 131. Haven't seen the results for 2010 but I doubt Uruguay is catching up with the high inflation rate here. Also these are comparison of two cities not the countries as a whole, you might get some different results looking at it that way.

For whatever it's worth, one of the two homes I mentioned is in BA's Northern suburbs and the other in rural Colonia. So I'm comparing the biggest city in Argentina with the countryside near a small provincial town in Colonia. Nearby Rosario has under ten thousand people.

I'm not familiar with prices in other parts of Uruguay, except for Punta del Este where they are insanely high. I mean, as in twelve dollars for a coffee and one medialuna.

The 2009 Uruguay inflation rate I quoted was published in El Pais newspaper.

gouchobob said:
Could be but the Mercer COL index for 2009 shows B.A. at 112 and Montevideo at 131.

Could you please post a link to that index? I'd like to see how other cities rank.

Back