Worst Polluted Places

dennisr

Registered
Damn, made the top ten, Matanza Riachuelo Basin, Buenos Aires. Right up there with Chernobyl. Not good.

http://www.livescience.com/40983-worlds-10-worst-polluted-places.html

A real pity, and sadly not unique in this country. I spend most of my daily commute with a view of Ingeniero White, the industrial port of Bahia Blanca, and nothing in my experience has ever so called to my mind the phrase "dark Satanic mills."

A real pity, and sadly not unique in this country. I spend most of my daily commute with a view of Ingeniero White, the industrial port of Bahia Blanca, and nothing in my experience has ever so called to my mind the phrase "dark Satanic mills."

Ingeniero White has a great museum, though, paying tribute to its immigrant communities.

True dat. And decent seafood restaurants to boot, but thinking of that in this thread gives me pause . . .

Oh, BB is full of very interesting industrial relics. I say this as an aficionado of the BB-BA train and regular random walker (in the daytime) in the no man's land between Brandsen and Villa Mitre. The "Barrio Ingles" is a dystopic miniature of Mary Poppins and Mad Max, and I have absolutely no comparison for the bizarre Victorian-ish down at the heels suburb of Villa Harding Green. Basically, you can inculcate the shady British railway vibe pretty well by standing in line to get into the visitor stands of the football stadium (now that Olimpo is in the Liga A, vale la pena).

Back