Xmas Rental Nightmare - Advice Please - Where To From Here ?

I would just not move out. Play hard ball.

Speaking of renting, can people please give me a rough idea on the fair price increase in % for leasing/renting long term (2 years), we are looking to renew our contract next month. Would be good to know what price to expect so we can look for other things.

They are currently asking for +/- 20% increase per year, so in a 2 year contract they will ask for about 40%, use your negotiating skills and be happy if you can lower that to 27-30% total.

It would be good to take a look at the contract. PM me if you want or post it here (erasing any identification part), in order to get better advices.

DON'T WORRY TOO MUCH!

They are currently asking for +/- 20% increase per year, so in a 2 year contract they will ask for about 40%, use your negotiating skills and be happy if you can lower that to 27-30% total.
Provided your lease is in peso. If in dollar, I would say 5% or no increase.

Howdy all,

I am still feeling absolutely livid but I will do my best to remain a bit calm and try to explain my situation...

I am coming up to 4 years here in Buenos Aires - and the first 3 years I rented in one place - with the landlord from hell - who illegally forced me to pay rent in dollars, never fixed a thing and forced me to pay for every repair and thing that needed to be done in what turned out to be a cockroach infested shithole... Great barrio but disaster building - and the worst landlord with the apartment considered to be the worst as well...

I got OUT of that nightmare about July/August this year - or at least I THOUGHT I had - nice furnished apartment here in Recoleta which we have been paying 6500 pesos a month for (sin garantia) and a signed contract and the agreement (verbal) that we could have it as long as we want (myself, my Argentine wife/partner and her daughter)...

NOW - tonight - less than a MONTH before Yule/xmas I am told (or my partner is told over the phone) that we have ''one month to get out'' - WHY? Apparently SHE has some pre-existing contract with some family who comes here every year - for only ONE MONTH mind you - and this is the apartment where they stay...

So - I, my wife and my adopted daughter - less than one month before xmas - we are supposed to go and live on the streets or what ????

I have lived in a lot of places - and in most of them the tenant who rents the apartment actually has SOME rights - what the fuck is it with Argentina ? Sorry in advance if I sound a bit angry/stressed/out of my mind...

I work - my partner works - its NOT easy to get days off - the last move was a nightmare and cost a fortune - this bitch (the landlord) has 20,000 pesos deposit of mine and has now gone back on her word (the ONLY reason I signed up for this place is she PROMISED ME we could continue to renew the 6 monthly contract ''forever'' if we wanted to...)

I am starting to think all sorts of nasty thoughts - but I DON'T want to risk my partner's situation either - I am not yet a citizen after 3 years or so going through the courts to get that sorted - 2000 dollars wasted on a ''lawyer'' who is a member of this site (I won't even START on that one lol) and now - after getting rid of that blood sucker I now have my partner representing me and acting as my lawyer and she has done better to move things along than the so-called lawyer (who took my money and did NOTHING for 3 years)...

Anyway - that is another story - the issue is I don't want to make it hard for my partner to rent the next place - until I am a citizen (still a few months away) I need to know that she can at least get another place without somehow being ''black balled'' - what are my options or do I just have to ''suck it up'' and move on and try in the next place (if I can even FIND one in one month at this time of the year) to get something in WRITING to say they WON'T screw me like this ?

Any guidance or advice or help greatly appreciated...

John.
It's not that hard to find a place, you need to calm down first.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately we are dealing with an inmobiliaria so we can't get any contact with the owner. Really really annoying and means we can't negotiate anything if I understand it correctly. The other stupid thing is every 2 years when we have to renew the contract they charge us a fee (nearly 3000 pesos). Frustration levels at maximum.

Thanks all for the feedback so far - today is a day off for me and once my partner gets back from work we will be visiting the rental office to have a chat to them about things.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately we are dealing with an inmobiliaria so we can't get any contact with the owner. Really really annoying and means we can't negotiate anything if I understand it correctly. The other stupid thing is every 2 years when we have to renew the contract they charge us a fee (nearly 3000 pesos). Frustration levels at maximum.
I have a friend who is renting a restaurant in Recoleta. the owner is jacking up the rent at 20% every 6 month.

We rent out an apartment in pesos, it goes up, below or in line with inflation 20% each calendar year. I would expect the same if paying in pesos. We didn't negotiate the clause, the estate agent who leased the place for us inserted it as a standard. I would guess, given the inflation situation, that clause makes sense and is commmon enough in a local context.

20% every 6 months is robbery of course.

I know where you are coming from. Yes, you can negotiate with your inmobiliaria for sure. If you are a good tenant - ir good payer, keep the place in good condition, etc, landlords do not want to let you go to experiment with a new one. Talk to your building super, tell him you would like to be able to contact your apts landlord to try to rent directly from him and tell him if you succeed you are willing to compensate him for the favor - $$ - some would even call the landlord themselves ;) This last method is non orthodox and is what most porteños would do ;)

Back