Xoom Now Requires "cbu"

mimyr

Registered
I just got this email from them:

Dear mimyr ,

Effective May 1, 2015, bank deposits to Argentina will require your recipient’s 22-digit Clave Bancaria Uniforme (CBU).

Please ask your recipient for the CBU number associated with their bank account before placing your next transaction. Unfortunately, transactions that do not have this information will be cancelled. We appreciate your patience while we work updating our site.

Where can your recipient find the CBU for the account?
• Account statement
• ATM through the menu “Consultas”
• Bank branch

For more information regarding the CBU please ask your recipient to contact their bank.

So most of us illegals are fucked as far as Xoom goes. Although I have heard that you don't require a DNI to open up a bank account, anyone know if that is true?

Why not do a straight-to-cash transaction as opposed to sending to a bank account?

The message from XOOM regarding the CBU applies to transfers that are deposited in bank accounts.

While it is not possible to "withdraw" cash from a non-existent account, isn't it still possible to pick up the transferred funds in person at a XOOM location?

Recently there was a thread that dealt with the need for foreigners in Argentina without a valid 90 day visa to have a CUIL (or CUIT) to receive XOOM (and RIA?) transfers: http://baexpats.org/...require-a-cuil/

Rodolfowalsh recently made a post about how to get a CUIT from AFIP without a DNI by completing this form: http://www.afip.gov....s/pdf/f460f.pdf

PS: I don't know if anyone has tried to get a CUIT using this form and/or if they did so with an expired 90 day visa.

I got a CDI from AFIP before I got my DNI, but I had a valid (extended) tourist visa at the time and I believe the CDI would have expired when the extension of my tourist visa expired. I got my precaira prior to that date and eventually got my DNI (about six months later).

I've used Xoom for a bank deposit here. It was convenient in the sense that I didn't have to go to the Xoom location for pickup, just stopped by my bank for the cash and/or used my debit card for purchases. It required the CBU previously if the sender of the cash transfer was not the same person as the receiving account holder. Now, they require the CBU regardless of sender and recipient being the same person. This is not a big deal as the banks can provide one to you either online or at the bank, depending on your bank's policy for issuing this number.

The phrasing does not seem to pertain to non-bank deposit transactions (i.e. in person pick-ups).

Why not do a straight-to-cash transaction as opposed to sending to a bank account?

Back