Xoom Or Cuevas?

Illinoisjoe

Registered
Hi all, I'm still looking for the best method to turn my dollars into pesos for my stay here. I have cash, but could also use xoom.com. Cuevas kind of sketch me out but if the rate is better than xoom, and someone can recommend a specific place, I could be talked into it. Also, other than basic common sense (go with a friend, while it's light out, don't bring too much cash the first time), are there any pitfalls to using cuevas that I should be aware of? Thanks!

*chirp* *chirp* Pretty quiet here, seems like I've ventured into taboo territory. I went with zoom for now. Oh well.

Methinks preferred routes are personal acquaintances or contacts, cuevas and xoom in that order.

Safetywise, 1st option is pretty much stealthy and private, other options are subject to personal security risks. Make sure you get legal tender and not funny money.

i always go with cuevas, due to the fact i have a friend. if you seek help, private massage me.

Good luck amigo!

I tried Xoom as it seemed to be the best, safest option. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the transaction as the agency here in Buenos Aires was asking for alot of intimate banking information from my bank back at home and I was ultimately advised to terminate the transaction by Xoom. I understand this has happened to alot of people.
The cuevas now look like the only remaining option, however, the issue is bringing in the dollar bills into the country. It would have been easier if Xoom had worked.

Methinks preferred routes are personal acquaintances or contacts, cuevas and xoom in that order.

Safetywise, 1st option is pretty much stealthy and private, other options are subject to personal security risks. Make sure you get legal tender and not funny money.
Oh is that so.? Are the "Cuevas" giving non-legal tender bills.? I thought they are legit and straight due to if a bad reputation arises 'cause of giving Funny Bills destroys their continuances of doin' the Cambio Business.?

I tried Xoom as it seemed to be the best, safest option. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make the transaction as the agency here in Buenos Aires was asking for alot of intimate banking information from my bank back at home and I was ultimately advised to terminate the transaction by Xoom. I understand this has happened to alot of people.
The cuevas now look like the only remaining option, however, the issue is bringing in the dollar bills into the country. It would have been easier if Xoom had worked.
Oh why is Xoom not operational? I thought simply wire the US $ and in Argentina or BsAs go and receive in Pesos. You were advised.? from whom? your own Bank.? Pleae be a little explicit on this subject 'cause I was intending to use the Xoom services myself when going abroad..

i was under the impression Xoom was only available in Uruguay...

Oh why is Xoom not operational? I thought simply wire the US $ and in Argentina or BsAs go and receive in Pesos. You were advised.? from whom? your own Bank.? Pleae be a little explicit on this subject 'cause I was intending to use the Xoom services myself when going abroad..

Xoom is operational. What happened was that the (Argentinian) agency here in Buenos Aires that works with Xoom, I forget the name, was asking for private information from my bank and subsequently Xoom sent me an email advising to cancel the transaction. You could try it yourself but from what I heard the same has happened to several others.

My boyfriend and I have been using Xoom (picking up at More on Libertad) for 5 months now with no issues. I don't understand why so many people get creeped out because they ask you a few questions when you are picking up the money. They have a form they need to fill out and they honestly don't care how you answer as long as they can fill something in on the paper. I barely speak Spanish and still have had not problems picking up my cash.

Back