Xoom Or Cuevas?

My boyfriend and I have been using Xoom (picking up at More on Libertad) for 5 months now with no issues. I don't understand why so many people get creeped out because they ask you a few questions when you are picking up the money. They have a form they need to fill out and they honestly don't care how you answer as long as they can fill something in on the paper. I barely speak Spanish and still have had not problems picking up my cash.

Great news so what is the rate at XOOM today?

UPDATES: at first XOOM didn't work with me, trying to send USD to my girlfriend's Banco Frances account as pesos at the rate of 6.9 (not counting xoom fees). However, I was able to fix the issue I was having and it worked fast and easily thanks to some info I found on another thread in this forum (http://baexpats.org/...130#entry165161), many thanks to jimdepalermo for the advice.
The crux of the matter (for me) was this: Xoom asks you for two things that don't translate well: a Branch ID (i.e. code that identifies a specific bank location), and an account number. As jimdepalermo indicated, the branch number doesn't matter, and the account number must be the CBU number of the account holder. I understand a CBU number is like a routing number for Argentine banks that is specific to individuals. Anyway, I called zoom last night and gave them the CBU number in place of the account number we had had before and the money has already arrived. Faster than interbank transfers in the US by a few days! I think a cueva would have to be offering a significantly better rate to compensate for the convenience and security of this method for me. I don't know what kind of questions where asked of my girlfriend becuase she's at work now but they must have been easily answerable by email if there were any.

@ Rich one: The rate on xoom has been slowly ticking up. it is now 7.02 (not counting their fees), go here to see the current rate: https://www.xoom.com/argentina/fees. It's easy enough to play around with different amounts and see what the actual rate works out to. One quick example: to change $1000 USD you are charged $30 which would make the effective rate $7020 ARS / $1030 USD = 6.82 pesos/ dollar. When I did it a few days ago my effective rate was 6.73 because the amount I sent was lower (so xoom fees proportionally higher), and the xoom exchange rate was lower (6.9425).

<selfpromotion> If anyone hasn't signed up for xoom yet and is thinking about doing it, they have a referral incentive program where we would both get $15 USD. PM me if that interests you.</selfpromotion>

UPDATES: at first XOOM didn't work with me, trying to send USD to my girlfriend's Banco Frances account as pesos at the rate of 6.9 (not counting xoom fees). However, I was able to fix the issue I was having and it worked fast and easily thanks to some info I found on another thread in this forum (http://baexpats.org/...130#entry165161), many thanks to jimdepalermo for the advice.
The crux of the matter (for me) was this: Xoom asks you for two things that don't translate well: a Branch ID (i.e. code that identifies a specific bank location), and an account number. As jimdepalermo indicated, the branch number doesn't matter, and the account number must be the CBU number of the account holder. I understand a CBU number is like a routing number for Argentine banks that is specific to individuals. Anyway, I called zoom last night and gave them the CBU number in place of the account number we had had before and the money has already arrived. Faster than interbank transfers in the US by a few days! I think a cueva would have to be offering a significantly better rate to compensate for the convenience and security of this method for me. I don't know what kind of questions where asked of my girlfriend becuase she's at work now but they must have been easily answerable by email if there were any.

Hmm.. Yes, the CBU is a local routing number used mainly to transfer from one bank to another. But I transfered to my Banco Frances account a few weeks back with Xoom and did not have to use the CBU. I just used the regular account and branch numbers. The account numbers here are in XXX-YYYYYY/Z format. The first 3 digits (XXX) are your branch code. For the account field, put the whole thing. I got the pesos within 48 hours. I'm not sure why it did not work for you when you tried it.

They have a form they need to fill out and they honestly don't care how you answer as long as they can fill something in on the paper. I barely speak Spanish and still have had not problems picking up my cash.
I want to use xoom in a few weeks when I arrive, but I don't speak any spanish other than a few words. Is this a form I fill-in or one they fill-in as they ask me questions? If the former, can I take the form back to my apartment and fill it in there and then return it?

415 - There are 3 main Cashiers on libertad. The younger gentleman and lady speak English. They can help with the forms if you are a first timer.

Folks, with all due respect this thread is reinventing the wheel. Five times over. Please use the search button and read previous threads on Xoom. Go back 6-12 months, not much (Xoomwise) has changed since then, except for the inexorable rise in dollar vs. peso. You'll need a half-hour to read and then all will come clear (more or less). If you don't speak Spanish then go with a Spanish-speaking friend the first time. Remember to be persistent, your 2nd or 3rd try will likely work. That's how it is here, for better or worse. G'Luck.
- Jim

Back