Xoom Same Day Pick-Up In Montevideo?

ElCordobés

Registered
I have a friend in MVD right now. He'll be there until Wednesday morning before returning to Cordoba. Anyone do a Xoom transfer same day recently to UY? Today is a US bank holiday...so it technically won't initiate until tomorrow. Locations allow pick up from morning to as late as 22hs.

It's about USD60 to send up to USD2999. It's a better deal than if I do a Ria/Xoom to Argentina and I get the USD instead of ARS of course (It's even better than "my guy"). I don't believe there are any issues sending to someone for reasons other than "familiar" as there are in Argentina. So I should be able to send to a friend (He has a UK passport if that helps at all...even though he's technically an Argentine who has never done his 'por opcion' citizenship).

I might give it a shot regardless, but would love any feedback. I usually do these when I have a few days buffer in case Xoom/MORE ask for documents and hold up the transfer.

EDIT: Ria Money Transfer is just USD5 to send up to USD2999. I've had really good luck with them in Argentina. Same day deposits last few times. They also have over 200 pick up locations in MVD...virtually all the same as Xoom/MORE's network.

EDIT 2: I did it with Ria. It immediately said ready for pick up. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Thanks!

No experience with sending to Uruguay. But if time is limited: I had used Ria with my debit card once (sending to Argentina) and it was ready for pickup less than half an hour after hitting the send button. Ria fees for debit card are still lower than xoom ($34 for 2999).

Similar for me in AR. I transfer from my bank account, which is supposed to be slower. It's a $5 up to USD750 and $10 up to USD1500, I believe. The last one I did was in my Argentine bank account in 90 minutes from hitting send. I find Ria's requirements much easier than Xoom. Just need to have a VPN and works like a charm.

Usually you need to warn the place where you're picking up the money that you'll be needing x-amount of dollars. Otherwise, you run the risk of getting 20s or ugly 100s, which are hard to exchange or exchanged for much less than the market rate in Argentina.

It opened at 9am. He was there at 915am. He was done by 925am. So smooth, he wants to do it for himself now.

EDIT: Ria Money Transfer is just USD5 to send up to USD2999. I've had really good luck with them in Argentina. Same day deposits last few times. They also have over 200 pick up locations in MVD...virtually all the same as Xoom/MORE's network.

EDIT 2: I did it with Ria. It immediately said ready for pick up. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

I did it with Ria as a cash pick-up at a Redpagos/MORE Money location a block from my friends hotel. I initiated the transfer last night at 1030pm. It said it was "Ready for pick-up" immediately and he picked up at 915hs this morning. Total cost USD$5. Xoom would have been more than USD60 for the same pick up with Redpagos/MORE.

Usually I use Ria for Argentina and in that case--I have it deposited directly into my bank account.

Back