Xoom Vs Uruguay

kirathecastaway

Registered
Hi all,

Could anyone help me out with some advice, I need to get some cash out here, which would you recommend, using Xoom or doing a daytrip to Colonia? What do you do?

Hi all,

Could anyone help me out with some advice, I need to get some cash out here, which would you recommend, using Xoom or doing a daytrip to Colonia? What do you do?

I was there last week. In all honesty, unless you are in a rush, I would go to Colonia. You will have no trouble getting your cash out of the Atms and it is a lovely small city, clean and safe.

I guess it also depends on the amount of cash you need to get: Atms will not give you more than 300 usd at a time and a max of 1200 usd daily per card.

Someone else on here in another thread mentioned that you can use Xoom to send cash to Uruguay and pick it up in Colonia. They said that it was easy and fast. By doing this, you can avoid Atm limits, and you are only limited by what Xoom lets you send. In this case, the person said that they sent US$1000 to Uruguay and were able to pick the money up in about 10 minutes, and the trasaction fee was US$17.

Between the two, definitely go to Colonia. The ATMs limit per transaction, as mentioned, but you can do as many transactions as your bank will allow. When I go, I call my bank (Charles Schwab) and ask them to raise my limit for the day or two I'm in Colonia. It helps to have a bank that pays back any ATM fees too, as each transaction has a fee. Just know that the Colonia ATM method requires patience as you have to do it in multiple transactions -- Insert card, withdraw cash, remove card, repeat.

Also, buy your ferry ticket from SeaCat's office directly. They usually put you on a Buquebus ferry anyway and you pay a fraction of the cost.

Daily withdrawal limit in Colonia depends on the card. I can withdraw up to 2.500 USD per card.

Daily withdrawal limit in Colonia depends on the card. I can withdraw up to 2.500 USD per card.
I had 1500 daily with my cards but was only able to do 1200 per card, weird :p

What are the ATM lines currently like at Uruguay? Is it still doable?

To me the best deal seems to be the dollar to dollar transfer using Xoom in Uruguay. The fees would probably be less overall than in the ATM, and you can just swing by to one of three locations in Colonia to pick up your transfer from one of three locations. Today I checked and Xoom says you can transfer up to 3000 USD at a cost of 40.00.

Back