Yerba Mate - whats your fav?

austgirl

Registered
Hi just wondering whats your favourite brand of yerba mate? i dont drink it the traditional way.. ive sort of created my own method of getting the right amount of yerba and dont like drinking hot liquids with a metal straw..

ive tried about 5 different brands now.. whats your favourite?

I USED to drank mine out of a sterling silver bombilla until my ex & I broke up and my stuff is scattered between here & the US (yes, the bombilla is mine sheesh...)... The taste is like night & day. My favorite brand is La Merced. I have tried several brands as well but it's not as good. You should try it mixed with ground coffee ;)

It used to be Piporé which to all intents is now Rosamonte which I still drink but more and more I find I am choosing other sabores from other brands such as CBSe Hierbas de los Andes, Pomelo, Naranja etc.

I think the finest straight yerba I ever tasted was a mate rojo made by Molinos la Mision S.A. which I bought while on a visit to Misiones but have never seen in Bs As.

elhombresinnombre said:
It used to be Piporé which to all intents is now Rosamonte which I still drink but more and more I find I am choosing other sabores from other brands such as CBSe Hierbas de los Andes, Pomelo, Naranja etc.

I think the finest straight yerba I ever tasted was a mate rojo made by Molinos la Mision S.A. which I bought while on a visit to Misiones but have never seen in Bs As.

Check out the link...maybe you can mail order your favorite?

http://www.guiaruralweb.com.ar/externo.php?url=www.molinoslamision.com.ar&sec=aaw&idioma=0

Oh, my favorite....La Esquina de Las Flores....organic....they have a few types....in the Summer I like the one w/mint....and also prefer the one w/o stems.

Also like La Merced...they make organic as well and also 3 types of non organic...campo, bbq'd, and one other...it is how they cure the mate leaves that accounts for the different names....I have seen small 3 packs of this, gives you a chance to try all 3 w/out investing in the larger boxes.

There is also an Organic brand I like...packaged in what looks like a brown grocery bag type paper...red and green on the label...nice as well.

I brew mine in a french press...I know not very traditional....but it's how I like it :)

Cruz de Malta is my favorite. Its a bit strong I think, but it gives me the right pep on those sleepy afternoons in office. :)

Rosamonte, I guess.

Some of the flavoured CBSe kinds are nice too -- I like the mint/herb one.

I've tried about 8-9 different kinds and there isn't any kind I strongly dislike.

I take a teaball of yerba and thrown it in a cold pitcher of small water. Drink one pitcher a day on average.

I've got the bombilla and a couple gourds, but I don't drink it that way all that often.

I find Canarias too strong to drink the native way. Fine with the teaball method.

Just arrived in BA a few days ago.

I haven't seen that CBSe coffee flavour brand before arriving. Needless to say, we don't have the selection of yerba in Canada that there is in Argentina.

I find the idea quite intriguing.

Anybody tried it?

We drink La Tranquera at home, it's one of the stronger brands. I like most of them but what I don't like are the 'suave' ones since they have essentially no flavor.

Has anyone heard of/tried tereré, which is mate brewed with cold lemonade? Apparently they drink it here in the summer. Most locals either seem to love it or hate it... sounds pretty unappealing but I'll try anything once.

According to my wife, who is from Paraguay, she says tereré is a Paraguayan mate that is nothing but cold mate, instead of hot, but served with water. She's lived here for about 5 years and never knew anyone except Paraguayans who drank it.

According to one of my programmers (who is from Cordoba but has lived here for about 7 years), it is used in the northern provinces where there's still a big Guarani influence. They use fruit juices of any type (he has a friend from Corrientes that uses orange juice).

I've had tereré with my wife and her family, but it's not real strong usually since it's cold. Also, I actually can't imagine it with a fruit juice...

Back