Yerba Mate - whats your fav?

Has anyone heard of/tried tereré, which is mate brewed with cold lemonade?

Hmm.. I've always understood tereré to just be a small bit of yerba thrown into a pitcher of water.

I do this with a teaball of yerba thrown into a pitcher back home. I drink an average of one small pitcher a day.

But I Googled it just now and this Wiki article does mention lemongrass and citrus juices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tereré

I was unaware of this. Might be worth a try..

That article really only lists the positive qualities of drinking mate and just gives a vague reference to potential increased rates of "some cancers" while saying that it helped to prevent other cancers and heart disease, plus other benefits.

So many things we ingest have negative effects - coffee, medications, booze, cigarettes, fattening food - that I think we can pretty safely drink mate without worrying too much, at least until some more conclusive and specific studies are done.

EliA said:
That article really only lists the positive qualities of drinking mate and just gives a vague reference to potential increased rates of "some cancers" while saying that it helped to prevent other cancers and heart disease, plus other benefits.

So many things we ingest have negative effects - coffee, medications, booze, cigarettes, fattening food - that I think we can pretty safely drink mate without worrying too much, at least until some more conclusive and specific studies are done.

You may well be right, the research is far from conclusive. However, the studies saying it has positive effects was based on testing with rats, which the article states doesn't neccessarily translate to humans. The studies so far on humans do point to problems, especially in people who consume in large amounts. For me I think I will stick to other drinks.

I haven't seen that CBSe coffee flavour brand before arriving. Needless to say, we don't have the selection of yerba in Canada that there is in Argentina.

I find the idea quite intriguing.

Anybody tried it?

Bought a 500g bag and had a gourd today.

It's nothing special..

I've always understood tereré to just be a small bit of yerba thrown into a pitcher of water.
That`s Mate Cocido :)

In the summer I drink tereré with very cold lemon/orange/pomelo juice. We even put an icecube or two with the yerba. I know of people who drink it with Sprite (never tried it).

In Buenos Aires people don`t like it normally, but in the Mesopotamia (Entre Rios - Corrientes - Misiones) is very popular.

Back