Yoga Studio Reviews

medialuna989

Registered
Haven't seen much on yoga on the forum; here are my 2-cents about what I've found over the past few weeks of trying out several classes around town. Would be great to hear what others have found!

+BA Life Center (Alto Palermo): Yoga for English-speakers; variety of classes twice a day; beginner to intermediate yoga; focus on flow - sun salutations, warrior poses, etc.

+DeRose (various centers): Yoga for pros; more of a health club (monthly payment) than simply a studio to take classes. Community seems close...bordering on cult-ish. Professional; focused on intermediate to very-advanced yoga (tricky inversion poses, etc). Every day classes

+Casona Cultural Humahuaca (Almagro): Yoga for hippies; mantras at beginning and end; poses can be awkward/ a bit weak. Friday class

+Estudio Freedom (Almagro): Yoga for grannies; focus is more on breathing exercises than poses. Mon-Thurs. class

+Práctica Yoga; with Celeste Campos (Almagro): haven't tried yet; seems promising.

Haha! I heard that Derose is super cultish!!!
I've been going to yoga buena onda for the last 2 years and love it. I'm yet to find a teacher there that I don't love!
It's English speaking, have daily classes and different locations.
I hate granny yoga, I love a good work out, and I always feel good when I leave.

San Telmo Yoga is in Spanish, but if you understand yoga sanscrit it is pretty easy to follow. Classes are all one level, intermediate. Flow, breathing exercises and positions. Relaxing and a good workout, very friendly non-competitive atmosphere, zero cultishness.

BTW went to Derose when I moved here and got scared--they wanted me to read a book in portugues by their master.

I've been a yogini for over 20 years and studied while in uni in India, but have't had luck here with classes -- lots of geriatric-stretching type classes they call yoga as indicated above! A good friend of mine took a three-year course here w/ Hastinapura to be a teacher but she still has very rudimentary knowledge -- she was mostly indoctrinated in pseudo Hindu philosophy. Heard Buena Onda was good but can't stomach paying more (US$14/class!) in Buenos Aires than I paid at home. I just do it on my own at home but it would be nice to know of more reasonably-priced classes taught by folks who are knowledgable.

I´ve been wanting to start with Sivananda Yoga in Palermo-Recoleta. Took the trial class, seemed pretty good.

My wife is a fan of Bykram, I was there some times and I liked. However, it is too hard for me,

hey everyone - just wanted to resurrect this thread in case anyone's found some new places? It sounds like the buena onda place is my style of yoga, but do they really only offer one class per day? I can't make most of the times due to my work schedule.

Thanks!

I went to the Buenos Aires Life Center and thought it was great. The classes were small and the instructors fantastic. The location was also good as I lived close by... Plus they had two classes per day.

I´ve been wanting to start with Sivananda Yoga in Palermo-Recoleta. Took the trial class, seemed pretty good.

I took their beginners course last year. It was very thorough and felt like I learned a lot.

What I did not like was the aloof atmosphere, to the point where I felt that I could not make a question or comment something for fear of bothering the teacher (a fifty something lady whose name might have been Teresa but called herself some ridiculous, impossible to pronounce Hindi name). Even at the lobby, they make you feel like conversations are not welcome. At that time I was working from home 8 hours a day and would have appreciated a livelier place, so I did not continue, but I would definitely recommend it.

Also, I took the course during winter and felt like I could never warm up. I used 2 pairs of socks and even at the end of the class, after many Saludos al Sol and with the blanket on, I felt cold - but maybe that's just me :mellow: .

One detail I found funny: Signs everywhere are directed at "Dear Beings", e.g., "Querido Ser, por favor deja los zapatos en X lugar". One detail I found very nice: free Lemon Verbena tea at the entrance.

Once again, despite what I wrote, I would not hesitate to recommend it. They seem to take yoga very seriously.

are their regular classes at the sivananda or do the just offer courses? I'm trying to find the prices and schedule on the website, but i can't seem to find the info!!!

Back