Young Family Considering Relocating To Ar--

salsapicante

Registered
Hi everyone,

We are a young family currently considering several countries to expatriate to, one of which is AR. The others are Uruguay, Chile, MX, EC, Colombia.
So we have some questions about living in AR, cost being a large factor as we aren't rico gringos.
We wouldn't be settling in BA or any city, we want to have some decently fertile land, yet not toooo far from a decent sized city where there is a social and cultural life, good mercados etc.
I don't know if this is the right forum for some of these questions or not, and if not, could someone direct us to the proper forum for this or that question?
Can you get rural land (not huge tracts e.g. 1000 HA) in the size of a finca for cheap (by US standards) I know this is very relative and so hard to answer, but a general idea of what a few HA goes for in different areas of AR.
How does the cost of food, internet, etc compare with these things in the US, CURRENTLY.
Are more deals available on AR land now with the devaluation of the AR currency vs the USD? (I know the USD is in no great shape either). Or put another way, does the dollar go further now in AR than it did a couple of years ago due to the AR inflation?
I know the AR gubmint is insane and certainly acting that way, but someone told me if you have dollars OUT of AR, you would be ok to relocate there.
Any Constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.
Muchas gracias!

Salsapicante

Hi everyone,

We are a young family currently considering several countries to expatriate to, one of which is AR. The others are Uruguay, Chile, MX, EC, Colombia.
So we have some questions about living in AR, cost being a large factor as we aren't rico gringos.
We wouldn't be settling in BA or any city, we want to have some decently fertile land, yet not toooo far from a decent sized city where there is a social and cultural life, good mercados etc.
I don't know if this is the right forum for some of these questions or not, and if not, could someone direct us to the proper forum for this or that question?
Can you get rural land (not huge tracts e.g. 1000 HA) in the size of a finca for cheap (by US standards) I know this is very relative and so hard to answer, but a general idea of what a few HA goes for in different areas of AR.
How does the cost of food, internet, etc compare with these things in the US, CURRENTLY.
Are more deals available on AR land now with the devaluation of the AR currency vs the USD? (I know the USD is in no great shape either). Or put another way, does the dollar go further now in AR than it did a couple of years ago due to the AR inflation?
I know the AR gubmint is insane and certainly acting that way, but someone told me if you have dollars OUT of AR, you would be ok to relocate there.
Any Constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.
Muchas gracias!

Salsapicante

I don't know what rural land goes for in the US, but it varies quite a bit here. When you say fertile, are you looking for agricultural land to farm commercially or are you hoping to be able to plant a garden?

What are your expectations for social and cultural life? Buenos Aires is the social and cultural hub of the country and the region so this is where you'll have the most options.

Why do you want to move to Argentina?

if you want salsa picante, there is nothing for you here in arg. go to mex! prices are lower than their US counterparts but wages are way less and if you have no capital to work with count on your savings being depleted in a bucket to the well scenario. finca life? think flies and impoverished workers in major need of dental work, man you want to come here with money or you're in problems especially with a family. just my two cents but cheap agricultural land here in mendoza think san martin area or the "east" or cheaper but really far from town san rafael.... cultural life think catholicism and again, flies. argentina is cool but its gangster and well, you know how that works out in the end... also there are laws about foreigners purchasing rural land it is not always permitted so look into that.

if you want salsa picante, there is nothing for you here in arg. go to mex! prices are lower than their US counterparts but wages are way less and if you have no capital to work with count on your savings being depleted in a bucket to the well scenario. finca life? think flies and impoverished workers in major need of dental work, man you want to come here with money or you're in problems especially with a family. just my two cents but cheap agricultural land here in mendoza think san martin area or the "east" or cheaper but really far from town san rafael.... cultural life think catholicism and again, flies. argentina is cool but its gangster and well, you know how that works out in the end... also there are laws about foreigners purchasing rural land it is not always permitted so look into that.
That only true for huge extensions of land, not for an extension that someone here in this forum could be rich enought to buy.

I think the best thing you could do is come down and see for yourself or try to research prices etc. online. You're basically asking "what is life like down there and what does it cost?" which is a pretty broad question.

If you don't want to live in the big city, you could try Cordoba or Mendoza.

I'm not sure what draws you to South America, but if you want a cheap house in a rural area, with access to first world amenities, I'd look into Spain. The crisis has hit housing prices and towns are being abandoned, leaving a lot of nice living space in the country.

Except it's trickier to live in the EU for US nationals obviously (but indeed, Spain is damn cheap right now)

Hello,
I'm currently living 100 miles west of BaAs,and there are deals to be found on land if you look close enough or know where to look,for instance in this county land goes for about 18k dollars per ha.but you can find some little 4 or 5 ha parcels cheaper than that,it all depends on the type of production your are aiming at. let me know what you have in mind,perhaps i can help you pm me if you like

I think if you want "cheap", if thats one of your main considerations, Argentina is not the place.
There are deals, and the country is cheaper than the city by far.
But Argentina is not priced at third world levels.
Much of the countryside is owned, in 10,000 and 20,000 acre chunks by families that have owned it for generations, and you find "farmhouses" full of amazing antiques, vintage sportscars in garages, and, in general, a level of pricing and wages more in line with the USA than you would find in Bolivia, or Paraguay, or places like that. There are John Deere dealers with quarter million dollar tractors lined up. Farmers in the pampas often drive new Audi's and BMW's.

If you LOVE Argentina, and you want to live there, it makes sense, and you could find a niche to farm in, and supply farmers markets or restaurants- but its much more comparable to how you would do it outside of Portland or Seattle or SF, than surviivalist cheapo back to the land situations in really backwater cheap parts of the USA.

Land in Argentina is priced, both for sale and for rent, based on this week's international Soybean price- it aint like rural Arkansas, where there are incredible deals on things in remote hollows.

As mentioned above- you need a fact finding trip, to all of the countries you are considering.

Back