Your Best/worst Customer Service Anecdote

When I first came to Buenos Aires over a year ago, I asked a taxi to drive me from Ezeiza to my hotel with address. When we arrived at the right road (not the right number), he asked me for 240 pesos (little did I know about the taxi fares, he had not turned on his meter.) I only had 100 peso bills, so I gave him 300 peso, on which he responded he had no change, se he could keep the 300 pesos (about 3 times the regular fare of the day.) Moreover he dropped me several blocks from my hotel, telling I should just walk down the road.

Our landline phone stopped working in the last big storm. Our electricity went out for 24 hours, and the phone line just never came back to life. Honestly, we can live without our landline phone, and I didn't call right away. For some reason I thought it might miraculously start working again or something. Well, that obviously wasn't going to happen, so I called Telefonica on Tuesday. I called 112 but was told I had to call 114 for Technical Assistance, I told them 114 just gave a busy signal, and they gave me another 800 number to call. I called that, followed the automated instructions to punch in my land line number and then my cell phone number so they could reach me. They sent me a text with my "claim number." This was Tuesday. 2 days ago. This morning Telefonica rang our doorbell, and the line is now working. I was shocked. On top of that, the guy that come was just wonderful. Super nice and polite. 1 point for Telefonica. Or 10.

Our landline phone stopped working in the last big storm. Our electricity went out for 24 hours, and the phone line just never came back to life. Honestly, we can live without our landline phone, and I didn't call right away. For some reason I thought it might miraculously start working again or something. Well, that obviously wasn't going to happen, so I called Telefonica on Tuesday. I called 112 but was told I had to call 114 for Technical Assistance, I told them 114 just gave a busy signal, and they gave me another 800 number to call. I called that, followed the automated instructions to punch in my land line number and then my cell phone number so they could reach me. They sent me a text with my "claim number." This was Tuesday. 2 days ago. This morning Telefonica rang our doorbell, and the line is now working. I was shocked. On top of that, the guy that come was just wonderful. Super nice and polite. 1 point for Telefonica. Or 10.

10 points for Telefonica..the same thing happened to us about 3 years ago and we waited 3 months to get our landline back and only after we had made 3 personal complaints at Telefonica and then a carta documento..and you the sad thing is when w emade the personal compplaint they just couldn't give a damn..the process is based upon legal redress or nada...crappy crappy company. Glad yours was a Christmas miracle to warm our cold hearts!

For what was supposed to be our romantic first anniversary, my husband and I went to a very expensive parilla in Nunez ("Los Sauces"). We were the first ones and only ones to arrive at 8pm when it opened. Literally about five minutes later the waiter came pretty much demanding to know what we were going to order (main courses, not even drinks). I already knew (an overpriced steak well done because of my pregnancy). My husband was taken by surprise and quickly skimmed the menu again. "You are ordering the lomito" the waiter told him (not even like a joke or smiling, like it was an order!). My husband asked for the chicken instead.

Our waiter didn't bring our water until he came with the food (a considerable time after we had ordered). I cut into the corner of my meat, which was of course bleeding rare. We politely asked Prince Charming to please cook it well done as we had asked because I was pregnant. "Bueno," he said, unenthusiastically, not even apologizing. He ignored us for the rest of the meal (so asking for a salt shaker was futile).

We asked him for the check. Mr. Employee of the Month arrived several minutes later. To-go boxes, por favor? He gave us this face of indignation, as if to say, "Ugh! You're bothering me!" We finally paid and got the Hell out of there. He really dampened the mood on our anniversary dinner. I told my husband that next year we should just go to McDonald's, the service there is better!

I worked as a waitress in college, I know it's not an easy job and dealing with customers is normally unpleasant, but this guy was appallingly horrible! Not a "Please," "Thank you," or semi-smile. Seriously- what is a guy like this doing in a service-related job (or anywhere in public for that matter)?!?!?

Went to a Club de Milanesa, waited 1hr 30mins for our food to arrive, then when it came the waiter spilt the plate of chips into my lap, didn't even apologise and walked off. When we complained about the poor service the manager acted as if it was us who had done something wrong.

One of the many reasons I can't wait to leave this city!

Went to a Club de Milanesa, waited 1hr 30mins for our food to arrive, then when it came the waiter spilt the plate of chips into my lap, didn't even apologise and walked off. When we complained about the poor service the manager acted as if it was us who had done something wrong.

One of the many reasons I can't wait to leave this city!

hahah, oh club de la milanesa. Worst experience ever. The service was awful and the food equally bad.

The waiter brought some bread with some sort of spread in a separate dish. I asked him what the spread was. "oh it's, you know, it's like, mayonnaise with, you know---" he stopped short because he heard his cell phone ring behind the bar. He ran off mid-sentence and we saw him go answer a text. Amazingly, he remembered he was waiting on us and came back over to finish his sentence: "you know, it's mayo with some herbs and stuff. I don't really know." great, thanks for your help. I was sincerely astonished. I couldn't believe it was happening.

Then the food was just awful. We ordered a milanesa a la napolitana. The tomato sauce was just BAD. And the milanesa was cardboard.

We walked out of there and just looked at each other and burst out laughing. Quite unbelievable.

For what was supposed to be our romantic first anniversary, my husband and I went to a very expensive parilla in Nunez ("Los Sauces"). We were the first ones and only ones to arrive at 8pm when it opened. Literally about five minutes later the waiter came pretty much demanding to know what we were going to order (main courses, not even drinks). I already knew (an overpriced steak well done because of my pregnancy). My husband was taken by surprise and quickly skimmed the menu again. "You are ordering the lomito" the waiter told him (not even like a joke or smiling, like it was an order!). My husband asked for the chicken instead.

Our waiter didn't bring our water until he came with the food (a considerable time after we had ordered). I cut into the corner of my meat, which was of course bleeding rare. We politely asked Prince Charming to please cook it well done as we had asked because I was pregnant. "Bueno," he said, unenthusiastically, not even apologizing. He ignored us for the rest of the meal (so asking for a salt shaker was futile).

We asked him for the check. Mr. Employee of the Month arrived several minutes later. To-go boxes, por favor? He gave us this face of indignation, as if to say, "Ugh! You're bothering me!" We finally paid and got the Hell out of there. He really dampened the mood on our anniversary dinner. I told my husband that next year we should just go to McDonald's, the service there is better!

I worked as a waitress in college, I know it's not an easy job and dealing with customers is normally unpleasant, but this guy was appallingly horrible! Not a "Please," "Thank you," or semi-smile. Seriously- what is a guy like this doing in a service-related job (or anywhere in public for that matter)?!?!?

percentage tip left? (i'm hoping it's a negative number...)

percentage tip left? (i'm hoping it's a negative number...)

No, unfortunately it could not be a negative tip (no matter how unspeakably horrible the service was!). Moreover, by chance we had eaten there about a year and a half ago and were able to pay with a credit card. Now the place is cash only (which is incredibly inconvenient), plus a pretty high cubierto de mesa.

Once again, I reiterate that I've been a waitress, and trust me, I know how difficult it is- People come in with a bad attitude, if something goes wrong back in the kitchen or gets delayed through no fault of your own, it's your head on the chopping block, it's physically exhausting, and you pretty much feel like the Hindu god, Shiva (the one with multiple arms) because you're constantly multitasking and are all over the place. People that I have served have thrown sh*t fits to the management because of me because of pretty minor things like getting their food to them when it wasn't still pipping hot or mixing up Diet Coke and regular Coke (and some customers are simply asses).

For this reason, even here you would have to f*** up really, REALLY badly for me just to stiff you on the tip. But considering how overpriced this place was, the mediocrity of the food, and the waiter who made me want to put my fork nice and deep in his eye socket (and this was our first anniversary... You only get one of those!), he got nothing. NADA!

Like I said, despite all the complaints that I've read thus far for this particular post, our 2nd anniversary will be at McDonald's. At least there, there's not a cubierto de mesa!!!

I have rarely gotten good service here, but it does happen. I've never had anyone go out of their way to help me though - which is OK because that's not something I feel I deserve anyway - just decent service without an attitude - after all, I'm paying and putting money into their pockets, right?

There's a restaurant in microcentro called El Establo (I'm sure many have heard of it). It's a bit pricey and depending on what you order, you may not like it. They serve really good brochetas (chicken, lomo and mixed), for example, or good pizza (reasonably so for Argentina) or almost always a superb matambrito de cerdo, but if you order a lomo or bife de chorizo you might be a bit disappointed from time to time. I've been to the place enough over the last few years that the waiters know me and take pains to make sure I'm well-attended, much to the chagrin of friends I know who go there without me and get so-so service :)

I find that often (but not always) to get good service, you need to know the people a bit.

My worst story on service to date comes from DirecTV. I had a US debit card on record with them to pay my bill by automatic debit. It had been registered with them for about three years previously and had served to pay the bills just fine during that time.

Earlier in the year, my debit card was about a month away from expiring and I hadn't received my new card yet. We now had a bank account here in Argentina and I decided that we should change the account to use the local debit card instead of the new one that would come in a couple of weeks from my bank in the States. At the time, there was no problem, all done nice and quick over the phone to change it over.

The following month, I received a double billing. One here locally and one on my account in the States. The billing had apparently happened before my States debit card expired. Called up DirecTV and they apologized profusely, said they would take care of it. I had a credit for the following month for the overpayment.

Next month comes along we are charged in our local account even though we have a credit for a month. In addition, a couple of days later we start getting messages on our TVs that our card was rejected. We contact customer service and they tell us there doesn't seem to be any problem, our account has been paid, etc, etc. I tell them about the credit, and ask them why we are getting the message about a failed debit. She said sorry, the credit would be applied next month - she didn't know why it wasn't applied the current month. As for the message, she didn't know. The message went away shortly thereafter in that month.

The following month we did not get charged locally, but we did continue to get the message that the card was rejected. Again, on calling customer service we were told that this time the credit from two months ago was applied and she's not sure why we're getting the message. And true, we were not charged locally, so at least that worked. The message goes away again after talking to CS, but about halfway through the month we start getting messages that we need to pay the bill to ensure our service is not cut off. Again with the call to customer service, again they don't know why we're getting the message.

Of course, somewhere in this I remembered about my US debit card and the original double-billing. Longer story a little shorter, we found out that they still had the old US debit card registered and they were still trying to charge it as well, which was causing the messages, even though our account was kept current by automatic debit from our local account.

To this day, we still get the same messages. For a while there I thought we'd resolved it (yet again) but we still get it.

I've thought many times about cancelling DirecTV and going with CableVision. The problem is we have a DVR box as one of our DirecTV boxes (out of the three we have) and we use it quite a bit. A friend about 3 or 4 months ago did that himself, converting to CableVision from DirecTV, on the promise that they too had DVR boxes available. When he got the service installed (two weeks later than they had scheduled after three reschedules - not too bad for Argentina) the technician brought him out a regular (though to be sure, it was HD) box and apologized because there was a huge waiting line for the DVR boxes. Due to the import restrictions the government has put in place, of course...

Of course, in all this, McDonalds has to play a bit of a role as a bad service provider (although not too bad, really, just at times). We go there for takeout about once a week or so, just for something different. Once, we tried a delivery service (can't remember which one), but the order took more than an hour to get to us, the food was cold, the fries soggy and half of two of the four cokes were nearly empty from the trip. Not McDonalds' fault for that I don't think, but that's just an aside anyway.

The real problem comes from how many times I've gone there and had a bill anywhere from 60 pesos to, say, 180 pesos, and they can't make change when I make my order, when I try to pay with 100 pesos bills. It really does chap my a*s. I can understand smaller places having this problem - after all, if you go to the bank for change, you actually have to pay a service fee to get it. But McDs is a BIG company. Can they really not have change? Even if they have to pay a little extra for that, I'd bet they could absorb it a lot easier than small businesses. Almost always when they are short on change they insist that I pay with my debit card. Before I had a bank account here, I got killed on international transactions fees and currency conversions and I didn't feel like I should be asked to foot the bill. Now, it just really pisses me off and I refuse to do it even with a local account.

And two days ago, I got the same treatment from Farmacity a block away from my apartment. It's the first time. I might even have paid with my local debit card because it was so rare. The bill was about 160 pesos and I gave the clerk 200 pesos (I had no other change in enough quantity to actually pay). He looked at me with scorn (I swear!) and literally tossed the bills at me, which fell amongst the items in the shelves in front of the counter and said "there's no change. Pay with change or your debit card." I was blown away - that was the first time that had happened to me, anywhere, with such rudeness. I bent down and fished the bills out of the bins in front of the counter, looked at him in the eyes, and told him to "suck..." (well, you get the idea) and then walked out. I was trembling with anger and realized I really should have stopped and asked to see a manager, but my mind doesn't work so well when I see red...

When I first came to Buenos Aires over a year ago, I asked a taxi to drive me from Ezeiza to my hotel with address. When we arrived at the right road (not the right number), he asked me for 240 pesos (little did I know about the taxi fares, he had not turned on his meter.) I only had 100 peso bills, so I gave him 300 peso, on which he responded he had no change, se he could keep the 300 pesos (about 3 times the regular fare of the day.) Moreover he dropped me several blocks from my hotel, telling I should just walk down the road.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me when I first arrived in BA in 2008. Just in my case I argued about the fair, but not being sure I wanted to go in and ask somebody at my destination. I was worried he would steal my luggage if I just got out, so I tried to reach up to the front passenger door to open it and push my suitcases out, but he grabbed my hand to stop me and started pulling away to make me nervous. I finally just handed him the money, and he turns around to "count" it and switches one of the 100 peso bills for a 10. That's when I knew for sure that he was lying about everything and I really started yelling at him in earnest. He suddenly got nice and ran around and took my suitcases out for me, smiling like a perfect gentleman. I had written down the cab # before I got out, but the old porteno where I was renting a room convinced me it was useless to report the incident. My stepdad's folks were seasoned international travelers and they described this as a "rite of passage" when entering any new country. Several expats I have spoken with described a similar scam, some faring worse than I. I considered a great early lesson in being careful and paying attention to your intuition, as I had ignored it at several points along the way.

Back