YPF Nationalized

Napoleon said:
I saw this at the end of the Buenos Aires Herald's article. This means that Beef prices might go up some more. This country is being led by short term decision making. Chile (and Brazil to a lesser extent) is led by long term decision making.

This is unsettling.

Suddenly the day trip to Uruguay has two purposes: Dollars AND quality meat! :)

TERKILD said:
Suddenly the day trip to Uruguay has two purposes: Dollars AND quality meat! :)

Chivitos are amazing! :cool:

I would also add another purpose.

Patricia beer.

gusgutier said:
Billionaire Carlos Slim Buys 8.4% Of YPF, Cristina Kirchner Smiles
http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontev...lim-buys-8-4-of-ypf-cristina-kirchner-smiles/

"Kirchner smiles" - that headline from forbes cracked me up.

Slim's bought shares. These are shares that are already in the market, that means he just bought himself negotiating power. YPF does not get any money directly because of this "investment", unless I've missed the details.

The only positive thing that could come from this would be the price of YPF stock could go up and when the price is right for CFK and her cronies, they can float more shares in the market to raise capital. Right now though, this move from Slim should only make Slim smile. CFK should be crapping in her pants.

Correct me if I'm missing something. Read the SEC filing and the article. I don't see anything other than the Slim family picking up a strong position in YPF.

The following is interesting.

When they talked about nationalizing the company, everyone dumped their shares:

YPF 6-month chart (Daily)

And then it hit 10.13, which seems to be a 52-week low, and Slim and Co. pick up shares at 10.

Then the people hear the news about Slim picking up shares and the share price jumps to 12.50 range (probably because of Slim's buy), and then everyone else, it seems, who was waiting to dump this worthless stock, dumps their stock, bringing the price back down to 11.17 (which is more reasonable but still way too high).

Here's the 10 day chart (15-minute)

nicoenarg said:
The following is interesting.

When they talked about nationalizing the company, everyone dumped their shares:

YPF 6-month chart (Daily)

And then it hit 10.13, which seems to be a 52-week low, and Slim and Co. pick up shares at 10.

Then the people hear the news about Slim picking up shares and the share price jumps to 12.50 range (probably because of Slim's buy), and then everyone else, it seems, who was waiting to dump this worthless stock, dumps their stock, bringing the price back down to 11.17 (which is more reasonable but still way too high).

Here's the 10 day chart (15-minute)

Buy the stock now, it's cheap.

Ratios & Statistics - Trailing Twelve Months
P/E 3.48
PEG 0.09
Price/Revenue 0.47
Price/Cash Flow 2.50
Price/Book (MRQ) 0.98
ROA 10.39%
ROE 28.04%
Current Ratio (MRQ) 0.65
Total Debt/Equity (MRQ) 0.68

TrevorCito said:
Buy the stock now, it's cheap.

Ratios & Statistics - Trailing Twelve Months
P/E 3.48
PEG 0.09
Price/Revenue 0.47
Price/Cash Flow 2.50
Price/Book (MRQ) 0.98
ROA 10.39%
ROE 28.04%
Current Ratio (MRQ) 0.65
Total Debt/Equity (MRQ) 0.68

I wouldn't "buy" this stock in a million years. What are you a stock promoter?

Do you know what happened to YPF recently? Do you know how erratic the Argentine government is? When a company is so freakin' messed up, technicals don't matter a lot.

In fact, do you know what the title of this thread is?

The only reason I put that information here was to show that Slim got these shares on the cheap.

On that note, Slim's got competition on the home front and he seems to be trying to expand out of Mexico. He bought a huge share in a company in Austria today too.

Back