Yup-That same Old Cost of Living Question

tkm said:
I can't not offer any info on cost of living and accommodation since I have not been here very long. But before accepting the job offer, I think you should bring some issues when discussing the expats package besides salary.

First is accommodation. As others veterans have suggested, it would not be easy to rent an apartment on your own here without guarantee from the company and such. So, strongly insist them on assisting you on this: from funding to searching for apartments. If the company is well established here, they will have contact with agents that they can "trust", they pay for the rent and the commission charged by the agent, you will probably have a good place without so much of hassle. It works in case that you will not be settling down for good, just 1-2 years.
Second, the insurance, get the expats insurance package that enables you to use as many hospitals/clinics as possible. It'd come in handy.
And as Gouchobob mentioned, you should be entitled to home trip once or twice a year with air tickets paid by the company.
There are other things related to holidays, medical leaves, bonus etc that you might want to consider.

Hope it helps.
Good luck.

Good point on the health insurance. It's an extra expense for somebody use to the NHS in the U.K.

andebobandy said:
We rent a place that's easily three times the size of our NYC studio, a one bedroom, full kitchen/bath with patio area in the back of a private house in the right near Plaza Cerano for $700 U.S. with everything included, and I've been told it's expensive, but compared to many of the apartments we saw when we were shopping around, I think it's probably good. I'd rate it a 7-8....

Just so the OP doesn't get confused, perhaps you are near Plaza Serrano in Palermo Soho? That's not really very close to Recoleta (the location you indicate in your info). A one bedroom "accommodation" with everything included that rates a 7 or 8 in Recoleta would not be considered expensive at $700 a month, especially if it had a private patio...even if it was in the back of a private house as opposed to a "normal" apartment. Private homes don't have monthly (consorcio) fees and I think the rate you are paying reflects this.

Back