¿Dónde está.....

Neil

Registered
The legendary maple syrup and cranberry juice... anybody have recent sightings..I was at Jumbo Palermo today and no such luck..clerks gave the usual head shaking "d'ont know what you are talking about..."routine..!:confused:

Neil according to steveinbsas and nikad and others it should be at Jumbo

nikad said:
I confirm: Jumbo carries maple syrup ( look for it where they have all the american goodies or where they display marmalades, honey, cake icing )

steveinbsas said:
100% Maple syrup is fairly common in the grocery stores. I've seen it in the Discos and Jumbo Palermo (who also owns Disco). Look in the imported food section. I have yet to see pancake mix anywhere.

...and from Harleygirl

Harleygirl said:
I liked Jumbo in Palermo for awhile but I am so tired of the same ol,, same ol'd. Recently I went to the Disco Supermarket just down the street from Starbucks on Elcano. It's a much smaller store but I really liked their selection of food. I was even able to finally find maple syrup.:)

....cranberry juice

angieinba said:
i've seen cranberry juice at disco several times. it's like US$5 for a little 12oz bottle.

EvergreenGal said:
Cranberries are grown in bogs of water....it would be very difficult to do that in BA...in the cooler regions of Argentina I would think you could ...

Cranberry Juice...saw it a Jumbo's, in Unicenter, they have it in the produce section near the wall with the unpackaged produce...and also when you first hit the "coffins"....meat coolers, where the pork is..right at the front on a corner end cap display...hope that makes sense:)

***they have the large liters not small bottles...

rmartinbuenosaires said:
Johny-Well maybe its just me, but it seems that anytime elpanada responds or remarks, it makes no sense whatsoever other than sounding like a stark raving lunatic. FYI- I just came from Jumbo in Palermo...they have no PB but expect a shipment in month or so of Skippy. Lots of Cranberry juice, decent mustard and pickles among other things...

Things come and go, a couple of months ago it was easy to get maple syrup and cranberry juice at Jumbo, last week went to the Almagro store and couldn´t find any...I guess you gotta keep checking as they might be importing small quantities.

nikad said:
Things come and go, a couple of months ago it was easy to get maple syrup and cranberry juice at Jumbo, last week went to the Almagro store and couldn´t find any...I guess you gotta keep checking as they might be importing small quantities.

Very true, when you find it you had to be quick and beat the competition so do not buy one, buy the lot :D

the big carrrefour on i cant remember what big ave but in palermo near the airport in a shopping center seems to have everything anyone could want

diego7david said:
the big carrrefour on i cant remember what big ave but in palermo near the airport in a shopping center seems to have everything anyone could want

The one in Paseo Alcorta? We used to always shop there for a long time, but switched to Jumbo in Palermo because more often than not they did not have what we wanted (even basics like fresh produce, etc.). That Carrefour is just like all the other supermarkets; they will have a good selection of unique imports one day/week and the next time you wont find any. It pretty much the same everywhere, including Jumbo and Disco. :(

Their is at least one Chinese market on Arebenos (the street in Belgrano right by the train station with all the Chinese restaurants) that sells several different brands of peanut butter, including several non-US brands.

They also have fresh shitake mushrooms (VERY different then dried ones), a large selection of dried mushrooms, interesting (for BsAs anyway) seafood selections and lots of other goodies that make it (actually "them" as their are several large markets in that neighborhood) a very worthwhile trip for anyone who has never been there.

Suerte

David

All three big grocery stores in Chinatown - Casa China, Asia Oriental, and Itchi Ban - sell various varieties of Peanut Butter. Casa China is SLIGHTLY cheaper than the rest. One thing to watch out for is wasting your money -- The cheapest brand is only 9 pesos, I think, maybe even less but it is AWFUL and not at all like real peanut butter. There is also what I believe to be an arabic brand which is better, but still not like the real stuff. Finally there is a brand that is 13 pesos at Casa China (and sells for no less than 16 in any dietico I've seen) that is the real stuff. Not only that, but it's the only variety I've found that has a 'crunchy' and a 'creamy' version...all the rest are only creamy, and as a crunchy man that is a huge disappointment. So spend a little more, get the expensive one...it's worth it (there is also skippy, which is more expensive than any of the others).

As for Maple Syrup, I searched pretty thoroughly recently in an effort to make french toast for some argentinian friends of mine, and was totally unsuccessful, so I ended up making my own from scratch. Obviously it didn't quite work - had to use vanilla extract to approximate the maple flavor - but it was better than nothing.

Back