‘Best cities for expats’

I'd love to know how this magazine defines "expat". I still find the concept baffling.
I have a couple opinions on the term that might be considered hot takes, but here's how I view it:

Historical/Classic Expat

Usually a white person from a developed country that has moved to a developing country that rarely (or reluctantly) integrates/associates with the locals, their culture, customs, and even language. They almost never naturalize as citizens, and even if they don't plan on, or ever do return to their country of origin, they still generally don't consider themselves to be immigrants/emigrants, and will often stay culturally connected and informed about ongoings in their home country, and seek to replicate aspects of it in their adopted home, up to and including associating with other nationals of their country of origin.

Examples: American writers in Paris in the 1920s, people who hang out at the various Foreign Correspondents Clubs, anti-fascist French people in Morocco during WW2, Military Brats in Germany, Japan, or South Korea, etc.

Digital Nomad/Modern Expat

People that are increasingly popular here on the forum; they're diverse, usually younger, and come from both developed and developing countries. They generally move here and to other countries without plans on staying long term because they have jobs they can do remotely from anywhere with an internet connection or are self employed, and want to visit and experience different countries and cultures.

Ironically, these are what I personally consider expats as they aren't immigrants at all and are moving around a lot.

Immigrants

This is what I think most "expats" here on the forum actually are, but for whatever reason, some chose to not identify as such. I'm not looking to judge them, as it's also especially hard to explain why someone would move to a developed country to Argentina to Argentines.

I consider myself an immigrant to Argentina, though I suppose emigrant from the US/Canada is more accurate since the "push" factors to stop wanting to live in either country outnumbered the "pull" factors to move to Argentina, i.e. I could have just as easily ended up somewhere else LatAm, or in Europe, or South East Asia if I hadn't met my Argentine spouse, that just made the decision of where to go easier.
The cost of living is incredible if you are spending blue dollars. At the official rates, not so much. For any of the older expats here, what was it like under Macri? Was the cost of living still a bargain like it is now?

I was here in the early 2010s during what I thought was a rough time under Cristina's reign (remember kids, it can always get worse) and for a two bedroom apt my roommate and I were paying over $500 USD a month for it, and that was the local rate, i.e. we had his aunt's house's deed as collateral.

Things have been getting cheaper overall in dollar terms over the past decade, but this has also paired with a decline in wages too (except for part of Cristina's and Macri's terms, wage growth has been negative both in real and nominal terms).

I visited in 2018 and things were cheaper than when I was living here before, (though the minimum wage and average wage was higher), but compared to now it was expensive, that's just how bad things have gotten since. While COVID and Ukraine haven't helped, even if you discount all of this, Alberto still managed to fuck things up just by winning the PASO in 2019, everything has been going poorly economically since, except for the dollar and inflation which is making Cristina's terms look like Ayn Rand and Ben Bernanke ran the palace of hacienda.

The cost of living is incredible if you are spending blue dollars. At the official rates, not so much. For any of the older expats here, what was it like under Macri? Was the cost of living still a bargain like it is now?

Can relate to the periods Under Kirchener, Kirchener, Kirchener and Macri. As it always happened during the past 20 years ?
The dollar value is sometimes lagging behind inflation rates, as happens today the peso devaluation, for last 12 months, was around 60 % (or dollar gain), meanwhile the Inflation rate was 87%? . Hence we are 27 % below the inflationary increases of products and services. Can buy 27% less products than a year ago..!

Eventually the dollar catches up with the inflation hopefully..!

I think this is like an article that says- Best Person for YOU to Marry.
As in, ridiculous, because everybody is different.
Some people want beaches.
Some people want cheap.
Some people end up places following love, and dont even know where they are for a year or two.
Some people specifically come for Tango.
Some people are all about wine.
Some people are here writing thesis papers for doctorates about obscure poets or film directors or sea lion mating habits.

I know we sure dont fit any of these categories, or any of the ones proposed above.
we visited BA for the first time in 2007, and knew, based on decades of travel all over the world, that this was the city for us.
So unlike many love matches, our love affair was for the gritty complicated reality of Argentina, for the history and daily culture, for the pizza! and for the madness that erupts when they win the game, for the people.

Back