1 week in, kids are struggling

Hey Plaermo Mom.
On Arenales there is a restaurant called La Payuca, they have a small indoor play are where the kids are watched by two assistants. For some peace of mind, take them there, let them play, take a pc with you because they have wi fi and relax. I am also in Palermo, not that close to you, but if you want to we can meet. I have a 5 yo and a 1 yo. I got here in January after a month of temp housing in the US and another here. I also get what you are going through. The zoo is a good outing and it is not too far from you. Club the Amigos is a great way for the kids to start socializing with other kids. The playground in las Heras is not too nice, but close enough is the one in Scalabrini Ortiz and Santa Fe. That is a nice one, just bring sand toys and they are set for a while.
You are in a busy and centric area of Palermo, so quiet is not easy there. I agree with the other posters on Belgrano. I do like it better than Palermo and I think Belgrano is more family friendly... However, I know several other expat moms in the area. With kids ranging from newborns to 10 years old.
I'll pm you the numbers I have for sitters and help.
I promise it will get better.

Here is a link to Consultora el Nido. Claudia Oritz is the owner and organizer. She has several pre-k play groups in the multiple use rooms of different buildings through the city. See if she has one close to you. http://www.consultoraelnido.com.ar/ It is a drop off program, but it is only 3-4 hours and they have a lot of experience with expat kids. Tell her Parvati gave you her info.
Planeta Juego is kind of my gym and they also have a pre-k program....

Linda said:
Hi US Mom,
I hope you & your kids are settling in nicely. I travel here twice a year with my two girls (ages 8 & 6) typically staying at least a month each time. I'm always looking for stuff to do to keep them interested & entertained.

We live in Belgrano near the train and so far the noise hasn't been much of an issue. I signed my kids up for Arabic dance lessons, Art classes & swim lessons at a local club. I also take them to the park (plaza). So during the week they're busy with these activities.
Other places of interest might be the zoo, Museo de los niños & Temaiken (far, but there might be a bus that takes you there). There are also lots of peloteros that your kids will probably love. I was just recently at Ale Ale, a restaurant with a pelotero in it.
I hope that my suggestions were somewhat helpful. I know how stressful it is when the kids are upset & want to go home. If you ever want to get together or have a playdate just pm me. This goes for all the ladies with young kids on this forum.

Hello,
Have a 7 year old daughter who would enjoy arranging a play date with your girls. PM me & we can discuss!

I agree with an earlier post about not living in Palermo. It's great to for dinner or a night out but the traffic is horrible and it's hard to find the essentials nearby...like grocery stores. I think it's alluring to other nationalities because it's trendy a little more clean and nice. It's a little more of what we're accustomed to in the states. Belgrano tends to have more Americans or people speaking in English because the universities are there. I was walking there last week and found Wendy's which I haven't seen and I've been here a bit (sometimes I just want a Frosty!)

San Isidro and Martinez are great places to live with loads to do and definetely a much better enviroment for kids.

If you just need a place to go and let the kids run around, you could try going to el Jardin Japones (it has a small entrance fee) or the Jardin Botanico. :) The Japanese gardens have koi fish which I believe you can feed and the Botanical Garden has a lot of space. Last time I went there were a lot of cats, though. ;) There is also a zoo in the area, though it's not the best, at least it's something to do.

I believe all these places are open throughout the week and weekend and should be relatively easy to get to from where you are (a short bus ride or taxi). Maybe take some paper and crayons and let them draw while sitting on a bench or have a little picnic. Of course it'd help if the weather would cooperate. :p

There also seems to be a little park about 5 blocks from Alto Palermo - Plaza Guemes. I haven't been there, but perhaps you or your husband could pass by and see if it's not a safe place to take the kids.

Hi! Great advice from Serranita for USmom. I used to live in Vicente Lopez, and also in Acasusso, and in La Lucila for a while, and these neighborhoods (suburbs) may be best for USmom! Not only because of the American Lincoln school, but because you have more quiet in the side streets, and lots of shops, cafes, restaurants along the two main avenues, Libertador (more expensive), and Avenida Maipu (less expensive, and very neighborly in Vicente Lopez). The city is beautiful and there are so many things to visit and see there, but living there in an apartment can be very restricting for the kids. Good luck in finding a more ideal place to live, and enjoy life in Buenos Aires (and its suburbs)!

Eclair said:
If you just need a place to go and let the kids run around, you could try going to el Jardin Japones (it has a small entrance fee) or the Jardin Botanico. :) The Japanese gardens have koi fish which I believe you can feed and the Botanical Garden has a lot of space. Last time I went there were a lot of cats, though. ;) There is also a zoo in the area, though it's not the best, at least it's something to do.

Also across the street from the Jardin Japones is a very nice playground on Castex and Libertador.

There is also a great playground in Puerto Madero.

You sound very stressed USMom, and your kids can probably feel it. Sounds like you might be getting a little bit frantic. I don't blame you at all, but I have to tell you -- and I've lived in BA for 7+ years so I do have some experience -- slow down! Don't tell the kids "Oh we're going to Club de Amigos " and drag them over there with their expectations set high. It's very typical here that the time you show up somewhere you will not be able to get service or whatever. Believe me, it happens ALL THE TIME. Buenos Aires is a great place for walking, so instead of telling them we are going to a specific destination with a specific goal in mind, maybe you just need to say we are going on an adventure and we will see what we discover.

Friends of ours when they came to visit just looked on Google maps for playgrounds and plotted their course for the day based around stops at playgrounds, parks and plazas. There's a tonne of them around the city, especially near you, so you should be able to fill your days no problems.

With a 3 & 4 year old in tow you could spend an entire day going from Parque Las Heras to the Recoleta Cemetary with stops in cafes etc along the way. Or take a cab to the cemetary and start walking back after exploring there. It sounds odd maybe to take the kids but it is like a little village inside and there's tonnes of cats and little boys especially will love the weirdness of it all. In front of the cemetary there are more parks and another playground as well.

There's also a movie theatre right near the cemetary at Village Recoleta that you could take them to on a rainy day -- just make sure that the movie is subtitulado and not doblado since for many children's movies they dub.

At parks like the Rosedal and the park by the golf course you can rent bikes for big and small -- the bikes are crappy condition, but good fun to take them around the lake. At Rosedal they can also rent roller blades.

Take bread with you to the Rosedal or the lake at the Golf course and feed the enormous ducks/geese/pigeons.

There's a Natural History museum in Parque Centenario.

If you don't want to take them to cafes, pack a picnic. Learn how to take the bus -- avoid peak hours as they are stuffed to the gills.

Good luck with getting a better apartment -- you definitely need one since really you don't want to have to go on huge long walks every day with your children! You want the option for them to play indoors.

Just across from my apartment and just up the road from you, there is a little plaza which has a playground (its small but generally cleaner than in Parque Las Heras). If you can get to Las Heras and Scalabrini you wouldnt miss it.

Back