10 Nations With The Least Favorable Impression Of The U.s.

Until Obama got elected I would tell most people that I´m Canadian.
Funny! Traveled with my Canadian sister a few years back, she was a walking Maple Leaf and her luggage was pasted with Maple Leafs everywhere. Wanted to insure no one would mis-identify her as a Yankee.

I grinned while reading some of these. One of my relatives, when he visits here, asked where he is from says, "Canada." Hahahaha! I'm more brave, I tell the truth. But the response I get, whenever it is negative, has always been against my government and not against me. My first experience was in a hotel in Santiago, Chile, when GWB went to Santiago and they were rioting in protest. A very well dressed gentleman stopped in the lobby to talk to me and asked my origin. I told him and added, "I guess you don't like Americans very much here." To which he replied, "Oh no, we like YOU. It is your government that we don't like." This has always been the message I have received but one of my friends went back to the States in fear and believes the time is coming when all of this hits the fan when our lives will be in danger. I surely don't "feel" that but then who knows? All of my experiences here have been good. But I have Argentina friends who tell me don't trust ANYBODY.

Sorry, had to do it. I'm also jealous GS :(

I always wanted to fly since I was about 4, and Top Gun came out the year before I went to flight school. We all watched it over and over and can recite every line from the movie. My dream was to fly fast jets and date a lesbian. LOL.

Regarding the OP's post, whenever I travel I never say, "I'm sorry" for fear of being mistaken for a Canadian. hehehehe

The people in Latin America have always hated the United States government. I'm not sure about the list. When I lived in Mexico, I thought the attitude towards the U.S. was much more belligerent. The U.S. was constantly criticized in the public media, and there were people that viewed me automatically as an evil person just because I am from there. I got really tired of the prejudices. Here in Argentina, although the two governments have generally been opposed to each other for one reason or another historically, I find that no one judges me that way. They always give you a chance. In fact, I find quite a bit of ignorance about the U.S. here and our culture, mostly just what they see in movies. Not everyone can afford to travel there, but there is great respect for many things in our culture. In other places in Latin America, I have often been treated badly because of my nationality. Here that has yet to happen to me even once. I know people that are pro-cuba, pro-che, anti-U.S., and we are good friends! They believe a lot of weird nonsense, but it's not a problem in any way, and they have never let it get in the way of our friendship.

Speaking of which, I read an article in La Nacion that Maradona tried to get a visa to take his grandchild to Disney, and was flatly denied. Although I can't help but think that's a bit funny and even fair, this kind of thing is what fuels anti-American sentiment. That, and starting a war somewhere every 5 years.

Speaking of which, I read an article in La Nacion that Maradona tried to get a visa to take his grandchild to Disney, and was flatly denied. Although I can't help but think that's a bit funny and even fair, this kind of thing is what fuels anti-American sentiment.

Most Argentines I know reckon although Maradona once upon a time was a football superstar, think he is an absolute d*ck!!

Most Argentines I know reckon although Maradona once upon a time was a football superstar, think he is an absolute d*ck!!

I'd agree with you, but it seems a bit harsh to deny him entry to take his grand kid to Disney. Although he deserves it, that much is for sure.

Back