15 Reason To Hate (Er,... I Could Do Without ) Ba Living...

Baseball is going the way of the dodo. Boooooring.

Baseball is the most cerebral of all sports. Soccer, on the other hand, is excruciatingly boring, as witness the following headline from the Herald. It is, however, wonderful exercise for children who have not yet acquired (or never will) the combination of intellect and hand-eye coordination essential to baseball.

BA Herald Soccer356.jpg

Baseball is the most cerebral of all sports. Soccer, on the other hand, is excruciatingly boring, as witness the following headline from the Herald. It is, however, wonderful exercise for children who have not yet acquired (or never will) the combination of intellect and hand-eye coordination essential to baseball.

View attachment 2327

You really think you are a raving intellectual . Get off your high horse and join the real world che !

Baseball is going the way of the dodo. Boooooring.
You have to participate in the sport in order to feel the excitement of playing baseball..
Perhaps, just watching is boring but actually playing it may change your perspective...?

You have to participate in the sport in order to feel the excitement of playing baseball..
Perhaps, just watching is boring but actually playing it may change your perspective...?

Other things being equal, I would rather play than watch baseball, but it is never boring. There are so many subtle things going on between pitches that baseball's complexity is a source of constant amazement. It's also open to constant discussions and sophisticated statistical analysis through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabermetrics. That makes baseball a meaningful sport even in the off-season, and permits credible comparison across generations.

View attachment 2327

If you want to play bat and ball at least learn how to play it like an adult, go and read the rules to cricket. Requires less steroids...

Calling football boring (soccer, if you must be at odds with the rest of the world with your US centric colloquialism) and advocating baseball as cerebral and exciting is like telling us that Paris is quite boring and we should maybe try Kansas City instead.

If you want to play bat and ball at least learn how to play it like an adult, go and read the rules to cricket. Requires less steroids...

Calling football boring (soccer, if you must be at odds with the rest of the world with your US centric colloquialism) and advocating baseball as cerebral and exciting is like telling us that Paris is quite boring and we should maybe try Kansas City instead.

I'll acknowledge that cricket requires some (but not all) of the same skills as baseball, and I respect that, but the term "soccer" is an Anglicism: "The rules of association football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863 and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford '-er' abbreviation of the word 'association'".

I've never been to Paris, but I have been to Kansas City, which at least has baseball and barbecue. Neither one is high on my list for (re)visiting, though.

Well, it said all good things has come from the Britons, but the Yanks can never leave a good thing alone, they are the antithesis of: If ain't broken don't fix them..But Nooo, Yanks had to meddle with the Soccer, the Cricket, and making their own refined sports! The world's new order has to come from the Americanos!

I'll acknowledge that cricket requires some (but not all) of the same skills as baseball, and I respect that, but the term "soccer" is an Anglicism: "The rules of association football were codified in England by the Football Association in 1863 and the name association football was coined to distinguish the game from the other forms of football played at the time, specifically rugby football. The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford '-er' abbreviation of the word 'association'".

I've never been to Paris, but I have been to Kansas City, which at least has baseball and barbecue. Neither one is high on my list for (re)visiting, though.

Terrific that you have an interest in etymology, however the fact soccer is currently north american reference to football. I am sure we could spend endless hours discussing late 19th century phrases and words, however it would be fairly irrelevant to the sporting lexicon of the 21st century. Not that it matters.....

Football is the world's game, it has the greatest amount of players in the world and the most popular club side in the world. Watching Manchester United, Barcelona or (if they have any sense) Liverpool is one of the few things that unites kids from the Americas, Europe and Asia. It is global, beautifully simple and yet devastingly complex. It is experiencing an all time high in the US, if it ever makes the crossover from a kids, womens and colleges sport into the working classes (non college educated folks I guess) in the US it would not be long before the US won a world cup. With its growth and existing popularity in the US latino population that moment may not be far away.

Other things being equal, I would rather play than watch baseball, but it is never boring. There are so many subtle things going on between pitches that baseball's complexity is a source of constant amazement. It's also open to constant discussions and sophisticated statistical analysis through http://en.wikipedia....i/Sabermetrics. That makes baseball a meaningful sport even in the off-season, and permits credible comparison across generations.

Now I understand why you are a wack job ;)

Back