15 Reason To Hate (Er,... I Could Do Without ) Ba Living...

Every city has its ups and downs. In New York City the subway smells of piss and make porteños look like miss manners.

(also no excuse about talking trash about travesties)

Right on the head.Monty ? as The Iron Lady once said ; ·if you are over 30 and use Public Transport, you are a loser :D What are City Cars for?

On travesties seems they work more than their female counterparts in Zona Roja!! :cool:

Very good jajjajajaaj... its a latino syndrome saying " NO SE" (I don't know ) on any subject is antinatura.... :D

As a latino, I can attest we are taught as children to never say "No sé". :D

Joke aside, there are such people everywhere. LatAm people tend to be more passionate in conversations (even trivial ones), the same as most Southern Europeans (greeks, italians, spaniards), with whom we share many cultural traits. In fact, after five years living in Spain, I felt Spaniards are even worse at that than LatAms.

But even then, at least from the samples I have, I wouldn't say the average Latin with a high school education is less aware of foreign affairs & world politics, finance, or simply general culture, than the average European or North American. Maybe Argentines are a special case since they have a big country (a reason why U.S. citizens tend to be --sometimes justifiably-- perceived as culturally unaware of anything non-American) and a somewhat turbulent recent history, which may have made them more focused on their own affairs and restricted their perception of the outside world. Couple that with efervescent personalities and a hint of arrogance (of the "I'm too smart to be wrong" kind) and it's a cocktail for a nonsensical bar fight.

But I wouldn't mix the average person's willingness to give an opinion with their level of knowledge, as very frequently I've met taxi drivers in LatAm that could easily and coherently outdebate any well-versed Ivy League-educated professional. I guess it's just a matter of luck, and I would still try to listen what all those 'annoying' and 'clueless' people have to say, as one can always learn something. We can't all be right... :)

Every city has its ups and downs. In New York City the subway smells of piss and make porteños look like miss manners.

(also no excuse about talking trash about travesties)

I was just in NYC a while ago and I agree. 'Piss' is actually a complement to how some train stations smelled, even in Manhattan.

Buenos Aires has men that are dressed as women? No way! I have never seen this. However, some of the most gorgeous women here have deep voices. It must be the steak! :)

On the subject of loose tiles that spray water up your leg - this is my pet peeve! Especially if its because the encargado is spraying down the sidewalk in the am. I make it a point to come back after dark and move the tile down the block or around the corner. For me, I'd rather have the gaping hole there that I know I need to step around than the water trap!

The most of the times, especially in summer, that water is disgustingly hot, and you re wearing bermudas, and the water is also dirty, with that grey-black color... without doubt one of the top 5 more unpleasant experiencces of Baires. And it happens all the time, everywhere.

When wearing sandals it gets even worse...

Buenos Aires has men that are dressed as women? No way! I have never seen this. However, some of the most gorgeous women here have deep voices. It must be the steak! :)

On the subject of loose tiles that spray water up your leg - this is my pet peeve! Especially if its because the encargado is spraying down the sidewalk in the am. I make it a point to come back after dark and move the tile down the block or around the corner. For me, I'd rather have the gaping hole there that I know I need to step around than the water trap!

I love this weird smell BsAs has in the morning, its this odd concoction of smog, jasmine, dogpoo, trees and lots of soap from cleaning those shitty sidewalks.

I'm so agree with you! I mean, I live here in Buenos Aires but I hate my own town and people here. They're annoying. And it's a dangerous city too, even you see politicians do nothing to stop them. Nothing! I wish I could move out.

Wow. Buenos Aires annoys me as much as the next person but there is no excuse for this.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]'Men who dress up as women. !!! OMG !!! They're a plague !!! Actually I feel sorry for them.'[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Why are they a plague? Why do you feel sorry for them? Are they sick, or unhappy?? Probably not. I do however feel sorry for you for being so judgemental and closed minded.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Irresponsible parents who send their young children to beg in restaurants & trains. Shame on them !!![/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Again, who are you to judge? Yes, it can be quite upsetting, and perhaps in many cases there are other ways these people can make a living. But I'm going to make a guess and say you have never HAD to make the choice of sending your child to work to provide for your family. Count yourself lucky that you have not been in a situation where that may be your only choice. I certainly would not say 'shame on them' to a group of people who have not had the luxury of being educated to know another way out.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]In my opinion the biggest problem with Buenos Aires is the general selfish, inconsiderate, uncompassionate, judgemental attitude of the people here, which leads to so many of the other issues that make this city a less pleasant place to live. As far as I can see from your comments above, YOU, are part of the problem[/background]

Pg 3 fight. Yep, this is about at the point where it happens.

As a matter of observation, it's kinda hard to justify one's argument that another person's attitude is uncompassionate and judgemental by being uncompassionate and judgemental right back at them. I get what you are saying, but the way you present it severely limits your ability to have the other person see your point.

I'm just sayin' ...

How could I forget: the fact that so many people here are willing, prepared and anxious to ripe you off.
The very last example: I'm trying to find a place to stay before I arrive next week in BsArs. A lady in San Telmo asked me 4700 pesos all in for her flat, I just saw on the website of couch surfing she told others only 3300 pesos all in. And this goes on all the time every time I'm there.
So how to deal with this?

Back