15% surcharge on foreign transactions on Argentine credit cards starting Sep 1

Gringoboy said:
In defence of the Argentine people, they certainly rose up against De la Rua in 2001, but of course that was a more serious economic crisis.
I think what we see today are insidious small thrusts of a very large knife, with a certain amount of of cynical care being taken to avoid the social unrest we saw back then.
I mean, people are uncomfortable with most of the measures taken over the last year or so, but I see very little dissent so far.
Lies down in darkened room................................................................................

Very true. With the baby step regulations, they complain for about a day and then shrug their shoulders and move on.

Carlosgreat said:
Good thing Capital one is one or the only one may be, not charging any fees for foreign transactions...:eek:

Nope. There are several credit cards out there that don't charge any Forex fees at all. There is the Citibank Elite World Mastercard (black) that doesn't charge me any forex fees. (But keep in mind the annual fee is $450 a year). My AMEX Platinum card doesn't charge me any forex fees either. (But $500 a year fee)

Also, they just came out with a Citibank Hilton Visa card that is only $95 a year and it also doesn't charge any forex fees.

I know there are a few others out there but I have all of these above and never get charged any forex fees which is great for people that spend a lot overseas.

Add to that list the United (ex-continental) Presidential Plus card. Costs $400 a year but has no forex fees, gets you into the united (star alliance) lounges, and earns frequent flier points.

Perhaps the government is following the Chavez Guidelines on Foreign Exchange controls for Venezuelans??

I am waiting for Megan (from the Argentine Economy is doing swell post fame) to respond to all this... or any Argentine in favor of the current government... Not to mock but really to understand and have a glimpse of what goes on in their mind....

The "shrugging of shoulders" reminds of the analogy of a frog staying in a pot of water slowing being heated to boiling point.

sorry, going off topic.

Turns out I underestimated this government again. I said on this thread that I don't think they'll implement a similar charge on debit cards...well Cristina proved me wrong.

All I can say at this point is...f@$k!!

SO... if I go back home for vacation and DO NOT use my argentine credit/debit cards (as I don't have most of my salary here anyway, I would rely on money I have in my home country bank account), would that make AFIP flag me for having money in other country?

Can't wait to get the hell out of this country, I'm a local and still can't believe how far these guys are pushing the limits, if I had a chance to leave I would do it, I can't believe you guys are still living here, this country is no longer what it used to be, it's so sad...

Back