18 year old coming to learn Spanish

Fijáte, entró un chabón y una mina con un fierro, cagaron a trompadas al encargado y afanaron la guita

I THINK It was: A guy and a girl went in with a gun, beat up (maybe shot??) the manager, and ran off with the money.

Disclaimer, not a native speaker, could be wrong. Between the TV, and my argentine friends i've sort of absorbed all of my lunfardo passively without ever really knowing the exact definitions.

Along that line of thought......can anybody tell me what a "Gil" is and how its different from a "pelotudo"?

From la Real Academia Espaniola: Gil

1. adj. Arg. y Ur. Dicho de una persona: simple (‖ incauta). U. t. c. s.

Nowadays, gil is used a lot, and gil is worse than boludo.

Davidglen77 said:
Police officer: "Fijáte, entró un chabón y una mina con un fierro, cagaron a trompadas al encargado y afanaron la guita"

Translation: (interpretación):
Listen, a dude and girl went in with a gun, beat the s*it out of the manager and stole all the money.

More of an "interpretation" as opposed to a translation, you don't really get the full effect if you do a word for word.

Davidglen77 said:
I love Argentina and all, I mean I live here full time, have my business and home here, however I dont recommend people come to Argentina to learn spanish. Haven't you noticed that if you learn spanish here you will have a hard time using it anywhere else in the spanish speaking world?

Even If the accent would matter (which i don't think does), this girls happens to have her aunt and uncle and her 2 favourite cousins living in Argentina; She would be learning Chinese if we would be living in China...:D. She is just looking for adventure and spending time with her family.

Like I said, accent doesn't really matter, but I never recommend people to come here if their main purpose is to learn spanish. It will be a futile effort and if you don't live here happily ever after, when you speak spanish outside of Argentina people will chuckle, it's a fact. Anyway it sounds like this young lady has other agenda besides the infamous "move to Argentina to learn spanish" so I am sure she will have a blast.

Roxana said:
What does the 18 years old girl want to do while in Buenos Aires?

kill time while her cousins are at school :D

She is very 'international', studies tourism, so wants to learn Spanish (if not now then later) and meet people from all over the world...

Davidglen77 said:
Like I said, accent doesn't really matter, but I never recommend people to come here if their main purpose is to learn spanish. It will be a futile effort and if you don't live here happily ever after, when you speak spanish outside of Argentina people will chuckle, it's a fact. Anyway it sounds like this young lady has other agenda besides the infamous "move to Argentina to learn spanish" so I am sure she will have a blast.

:rolleyes:

I spent last summer in Spain with a big group of porteños, and no one chuckled at us. Maybe they just waited until we stopped speaking spanish with them to chuckle.

Oh I am sure they chuckled and had plenty to say about you and your group, but being European they tend to be polite and discreet. On the other hand if you are from Spain or the USA and you come to Argentina they will be sure to call you Gallego or Yanqui to your face every time they make reference to you.

Davidglen77 said:
Oh I am sure they chuckled and had plenty to say about you and your group, but being European they tend to be polite and discreet. On the other hand if you are from Spain or the USA and you come to Argentina they will be sure to call you Gallego or Yanqui to your face every time they make reference to you.

I'm fairly confident that these people had better things to do with their days then giggle in the back over "my group".

I think the girl will get quickly adjusted to our schedule, so she will try to sleep more in the mornings. However she can take tango classes starting at 10 or 11 am without a previous appointment (Confiteria La Ideal or Centro Cultural Borges). Perhaps she can engage taking a class at Centro Cultural Recoleta or Centro Cultural Rojas ( I dont know if they offer openings at the time the girl will arrive here). Another option will be to inscribe the girl at the workshops offered by the Municipalidad de Buenos Aires at the CGP ( Centros de Gestion y Participacion). You can search it under the Cultura section. Try Centro Shenkin, which offers plenty of workshops and activities for free to people from 18 to 30 years of age. Perhaps she wants to do someting more cool like swing classes or acrobatics. I dont have any particular recommendation, but you can figure it out. She can rent a bike at bicicleta naranja. They also offer a city tour by bike.

Remember the social life here, with the previa and hanging out up to late hours at night, or call it early morning!!!

And try to provide her a copy of cheboludo to get her easily started with everyday's language.

Back