18 year old coming to learn Spanish

Everybody here uses frambuesas for raspberries as far as I've seen

syngirl said:
I concur with the statement re: cockney in London. It's not as if Argentines (or Portenos) walk around speaking 100% lunfardo.

It can't be spoken 100% because it's not a dialect or language. You speak Spanish and then replace words with their lunfardo synonyms. Purists say there's no such thing as Lunfardo, just palabras lunfardas (lunfardo words).

About Cockney... I already ventured comparing it to Lunfardo in my reply to David, and I say ventured because my knowledge of the term is vague to say the least, but I'm pretty sure both (I will call them) slangs share the capability of getting an outsider lost when exposed to them, hence the comparison.

Davidglen77 said:
I don't doubt that the Argentine words are in the diccionario de la Academia Real Española.

But you said "the correct words are....." To me, it sounds like you are suggesting the Argentine words are "not correct".

However, I am referring to what is commonly used in all other countries minus Argentina.

If you've been to those countries, I won't argue with you. I haven't, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the way you say it is.

Unfortunately people don't carry a dictionary to consult all over latin america or any other country either.

You remind me of this little electronic translator I bought when living in the US. Perhaps the region should work on one. :D

Regarding frutos del bosque, people here don't even know what they are, it's a very silly term if you ask me, sounds like something from the Pitufos (smurfs)......."Quiero frutos del bosque encantado.......ok Pitufina (smurfette) ahora voy al bosque y le pediré a la lechusa mágica que me consiga los frutos mi amor eterno......."

LMAO!!! :)

Davidglen77 said:
I am not referring to slang. I am talking about everyday things that if you learn spanish here you will not be well understood in other countries.

(The correct words are piña, albaricoque, fresa, toronja, frambuesas, and judías verdes)

The same thing applies to everyday things in Argentina.

There is the same amount of regionalisms --be they neutral, everyay ones, or formal, or colloquial or vulgar--as there are in any other Spanish speaking country.

I know this first-hand because I've lived in different Spanish speaking countries. In addition, I devote most of my time to recording these regional uses.

(Didn't you say in another post you grew up in Miami? I know you hear all sorts of regional uses there.)

For many modern-day dictionary makers and lingusits, there is no such thing as correct.

Note: The Real Academia Espanola carries has hundreds of regionalisms from Argentina just as it does for most LatAm countries.

Katti, your cousin will have a blast in Buenos Aires.

Telling somebody not to go to Argentina because Rioplatense Spanish is somewhat different from 'Standard Spanish" Is like telling somebody not to go to Spain to learn Spanish because their Castellano is different from that spoken in Latin-America.

I really do not see the problem: I came to Argentina to learn Spanish, and having spent some time in other Spanish-speaking countries I've never encountered (major) problems in not understanding people. Every country has it's typical words/sayings and can cause hilarious situations ;).

David -- Frutos del Bosque in Argentina at least, do not refer to frambuesas or raspberries. It is a group all term that refers to Fruits of the Forest -- same as you'll see in North America on your yogurt label -- it is a mix of blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and sometimes cherries.

If you ask for frutos del bosque here you'll be disappointed if you were hoping for exclusively frambuesas.

ReemsterCARP said:
Telling somebody not to go to Argentina because Rioplatense Spanish is somewhat different from 'Standard Spanish" Is like telling somebody not to go to Spain to learn Spanish because their Castellano is different from that spoken in Latin-America.

I really do not see the problem: I came to Argentina to learn Spanish, and having spent some time in other Spanish-speaking countries I've never encountered (major) problems in not understanding people. Every country has it's typical words/sayings and can cause hilarious situations ;).

Nobody ever said that somebody should not to go to Argentina because Rioplatense Spanish is somewhat different from 'Standard Spanish", however I and some others suggested that this isn't the best place to develop a baseline of the language. Then it blew up into in xxxx country they say this and xxxxx country they say that. No problem at all, everyone has their own opinion. And to reiterate mine, I would not come here to learn spanish if I wasn't a native speaker. I am originally from New York City and yes even NYC has it´s own brand of español, that part is true. However, I personally find the spanish spoken here to sound strange, especially Porteño which sounds like another language altogether.
Argentina has a lot of great things to take advantage of, culture, dance, art, architecture, crazy political history to learn about. But in my opinion, language is not it's outstanding feature.

Davidglen77 said:
For example go to a verdulería in any other country in latinoamerica or the carribean (except maybe chile where they are used to hearing this strange use of español) and ask for ananá, damasco, frutilla, pomelo, frutos del bosque, chauchas, and nobody will know what you are talking about.

(The correct words are piña, albaricoque, fresa, toronja, frambuesas, and judías verdes)

God. My first-ever trip to a Buenos Aires verduleria was un desastre. I kept asking for an aguacate, more and more forcefully, until the baffled verdulero finally just kind of ran away from me. Asking for mantequilla de cacahuete at Disco was another epic fail...

Aguacate is used in most other countries however, Palta is the word used for Avocado in Argentina, Peru, and Bolivia. Maní is more common than Cacahuete, which is actually not a spanish word but rather a word of the idigenous people of the region of what is now known as Mexico. Maní is español. Oh and also, the correct word for butter is mantequilla, in all other countries, manteca as they call butter here means lard.

syngirl said:
David -- Frutos del Bosque in Argentina at least, do not refer to frambuesas or raspberries. It is a group all term that refers to Fruits of the Forest -- same as you'll see in North America on your yogurt label -- it is a mix of blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and sometimes cherries.

If you ask for frutos del bosque here you'll be disappointed if you were hoping for exclusively frambuesas.

You forgot one, Frutos del Bosque also includes grosella (red currants) last time I was in the enchanted forest (which of course is located in Argentina) I saw a Smurf sitting on a portobello mushroom eating some of them and I asked "are those all frutos del bosque" of course he said yes.

Back