2 Million+ Argentines Invade Florianopolis

Khairy....dude..long time..no see!

All good?

Khairy....dude..long time..no see!

All good?

All is great, ... bursting alive .. abundance of vigorous energy !!
I feel as good as I look in my avatar .... (from way back my younger years!!) ....

Sounds like it`s a good time to invade Florianopolis now before I get older ... wouldn`t you say ?

I don't believe that 2 million Argentines went to Florianopolis. How did they get there are where did they stay? No city in the World would have accomodations for a fraction of this number of people.

I don't believe that 2 million Argentines went to Florianopolis. How did they get there are where did they stay? No city in the World would have accomodations for a fraction of this number of people.

Not 2 million at once, of course. That is total number of visitors for the season, in Florianopolis and the area around it. Many stay just a few days.

Zika: New stuff, no one knows enough. There's speculations that it is related to the recent syndrom of newborn babies being born with underdeveloped skulls, and chances are there is a link between the two. However, it's not been 100% confirmed the babies are born like this because of zika. Chances are they are. But there could be other underlying causes, such as contamination etc.

Dengue: Old stuff. We know for sure it's transmitted by mosquitoes, what it does and that we can die of it, although not necessarily.

Bottom line: It's all here, right now, in Buenos Aires. We have plenty of mosquitoes here. Neither of the two is an STD. All it takes is a mosquito bite. We have absolutely no idea what zika does to adults who are not pregnant. It might affect some part of metabolism, it may play a part in developing auto-immune issues. No one knows. Plus, we have absolutely no control over if the mosquito who bites us has the virus or not.

Personally, I'm not afraid of that.

Zika: New stuff, no one knows enough.

Not really. it has been cataloged and studied since the 1940s, when it was first discovered in Africa. It first arrived in Brazil in 2014, when tourists from Africa or Asia who came for the World Cup brought it with them.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]We have absolutely no idea what zika does to adults who are not pregnant.[/background]

Actually we do have a pretty good idea.

Hm. Interesting. In that case, howcome it only started affecting newborn babies in this way recently? If it's been there for this long. The article also says the infection is an issue of one week. From what I've read, they associate the deformity with the virus, but it hasn't been confirmed for sure if the virus is the cause or not.

Hm. Interesting. In that case, howcome it only started affecting newborn babies in this way recently?

Well, viruses do mutate. A new strain of a well known virus might be the cause the microcephaly. It may also be that it has always affected newborn babies. However, historically the Zika virus always occurred in remote areas where medical coverage was poor to non-existent, so the incident of the virus was never scientifically correlated with cases of birth defects that might have occurred many months later.

The Zika virus is now happening in a highly urbanized country where there is a massive health care infrastructure, and where the population, even the poorest, has extensive access to pre and post natal care. So the correlation between the virus and babies with microcephaly can now be observed, documented, and studied.

Could be. Yet I wouldn't be surprised if they find out it's caused by some medication or other contamination, rather than the virus.

Back