2 peso notes are being made illegal?

pmacay

Registered
I was gone on vacation for 2 weeks and when I got back I heard the 2 peso bill will no longer be accepted after a certain time. What is this about? How long do I have to use my 2 peso notes before they expire? What is the rational for saying a 2 peso bill is no longer legal tender? Why not just stop printing them?

Thanks for any pointers!

Pete & Ron

I only found out the other day when I saw my local Kiosco owner* had posted a note on his shop counter. It was informing customers he wouldn't be accepting 2 peso notes after the end of this month. I have since asked my wife and she said it's true. Given the value and condition of them I'm not surprised they're taking them out of circulation.

* He's also got several pro Chavez/Maduro comment notes pinned to the walls and windows which makes me think he's not the full shilling.

around 2 months ago..i collected all my 2 pesos notes and used it in Jumbo ( almost 400 pesos!!) . wham! problem solved. now i do have many 2 peso coins which are acceptable.

Shops are supposed to accept them till the end of April. You can collect them and have them changed at a Bank

I was gone on vacation for 2 weeks and when I got back I heard the 2 peso bill will no longer be accepted after a certain time. What is this about? How long do I have to use my 2 peso notes before they expire? What is the rational for saying a 2 peso bill is no longer legal tender? Why not just stop printing them?

Thanks for any pointers!

Pete & Ron

The banks have stopped printing them a while ago. That's why they all look the way they do.
Banks only accept them until 27 April.
Most stores will have stopped by now I assume.

Most of them are wreck anyway just destroyed torn up and worn out.

Thanks for any pointers!

Pete & Ron

I may be wrong but I think the USA is the only country that will honour all previous issues of its currency at all times. Other countries phase coins and notes in and out of circulation as and when it pleases them. Remember the furore a couple of years ago when India, as part of its fight against money laundering and the black economy, declared all high-value notes would cease to be valid in a fortnight? Back in Dear Old Blighty, the paper £10 note is on its last gasp: shortly only the new plastic ones will be legal tender.

My penchant for keeping the bin-ends of foreign currency in hand for the next trip caught me out two weeks ago when I made my first visit to Chile since 2010. On arrival I went to pay for something and flashed a couple of 2000 Chilean Peso notes, much to the astonishment of those around. But... but... but... you can't use them: they were withdrawn years ago! In common with Britain and a whole lot of other countries, those old Chilean Pesos can be exchanged for current currency at the national bank but for me it really wasn't worth it. I don't know if Argentina's national bank will change out-of-date two peso notes: I've just been careful to give mine away at every opportunity.

PS - I haven't seen an Argentine 2 peso coin in my change for months! Only one-peso coins and notes.
PPS - Hang on to one or two of the old peso coins: the new ones don't fit in the supermarket locker mechanisms.

It caught me by surprise as well that the 2 peso note will soon be worthless. Usually, banks will still exchange old currency. At least that's what I thought.

You can still exchange pesetas for euros in Spain, even though it's been well over a decade. Granted, only at certain banks and only until the end of 2020 supposedly.

Back