20% Surcharge For Travel

Was able to issue a ticket at AA today....I didn't ask twice when they quoted the price....got the cash in pesos and paid....one down without the extra tax!

Now it's not the same issue for all airlines. JURCA which is the Argentinian Airline Association is challenging AFIP saying they precisely stipulate the new 20% are only for residents.

Two options....they get it right and than nothing happen....my bet...they fight it, than AFIP amend....and we are all paying 20%. Which ever way....the window may be very short on it...very short...

For those who are still able to do it...issue now, once that done, you are supposed to be safe. AA starting to charge the 20% to residents today at 2pm....I was there!

Now if the blue shoot at 10....well....want to see what would happen....

@LostinBA - I don't know, I assume they put up with it as long as they can still make a healthy profit. It looks like some like Vale are sitting on the sidelines for now waiting for better economic conditions.

I also read somewhere that Argentina started paying more to oil + gas producers to increase investment and production because energy imports are draining their dollar reserves.

Here is one article on the subject - http://www.businessw...-boost-drilling

For those of us who do not have US$ but a foreign credit card, a solution is to buy a ticket to e.g. Montevideo or Santiago de Chile plus buy a ticket online from Uruguay/Chile to our destination. +20% on the short trip and 0% on the long haul.

For those of us who do not have US$ but a foreign credit card, a solution is to buy a ticket to e.g. Montevideo or Santiago de Chile plus buy a ticket online from Uruguay/Chile to our destination. +20% on the short trip and 0% on the long haul.

If you're doing this, just buy the ticket from the airline website in dollars. You won't be charged the 20% as the transaction is not in Argentina.

Was able to issue a ticket at AA today....I didn't ask twice when they quoted the price....got the cash in pesos and paid....one down without the extra tax!

Did you reserve the ticket online or do everything at the AA ticket office? I have an award ticket booked for May, but I'm considering paying for the ticket now and keeping the miles....

If you're doing this, just buy the ticket from the airline website in dollars. You won't be charged the 20% as the transaction is not in Argentina.
Unless AFIP starts checking in the exit airports.

Dispair is the name of the game

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/126836/blue-dollar-skyrockets-to-ar$875

Back